The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ACT 2600 Garbage

turbowop

All my early ACT clutches held up great, then I blew springs out of two different street disks within a year of each other. Eff that. Now that I have the twin disk there are no issues. The gray car has a Centerforce in it. Nice clutch for what it is. Works well for that car's power level, which isn't much.

BrandonEchols

Actually, I think you might be right.
Although I do think the clutchnet design pretty much ensures you won't be throwing any springs.
After all the reading I've been doing about various clutches and failures...I'm all but 100% certain that when I replace mine at some point in the future, I'll be going with an unsprung puck clutch, not sure whether I'll go 4 or 6 at this point.

Quoting Rausch:
I think it's a bit of a crap shoot with most all the companies. For example:

Quoting brandonechols:
Clutchnet FTW.

NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS will I do business with them again. Ever. A company that makes clutches should actually understand what you order when you order it, especially when you chose from the options THEY present. 3 rounds of debate, shipping and returns before I gave up and went elsewhere. Never again.

By the same token, My ACT held up wonderfully (2600 street disc) and to my understanding, is still doing well as we speak. Go figure.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Im running an ACT2600 pressure plate and an OEM mitsu disk, that's the combo I prefer and likely always will. My experience with clutches:

CFDF: junk that won't hold more than 300whp and won't take any kind of slip launch or heat without glazing the disk and making it slip down the track
Spec stage 3: Same issue as CFDF. wimpy pressure plate and aggressive disk just doesn't work in an AWD car that needs clutch slip on the launch.
Exedy single disk: ditto...worthless.

IMHO if you want to actually utilize your AWD system for launching hard, there is no single disk clutch that will hold a basic 16G power level other than ACT2600. If your going to hit the dragstrip even somewhat often with a 110mph car or faster, the only choice is either ACT2600 or some form of twin disk. The pressure plates seem to last forever, so the only issue is the disk: OEM 2g turbo DSM disk is like $67...it's a no brainer.

Last edited:

beaner

The discs are different from 1g and 2g for OEM. One of the two won't work with a 2600 PP. Ask me how I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting Beaner:
The springs on new discs hit the fingers of older pressure plates. At some point and time there was a revision to the disc with the springs being larger. Somehow ACT hasn't figured this issue out yet while the entire DSM community has. Shame.

Solution

For what it's worth I've ran nothing but 2600s since 2001 and have been fully satisfied with them.

B, i skimmed this thread you linked and didnt see anythign that stuck out? whats the deal? ive got an old school 2100 in mine now and considering a revised street disc, but my room mate has an old 2600 with revised sprung 6 puck and has no issues with the clutch.

I went thru like 6 2600 and 2 2900 before I went with a Twin Disk Quartermaster Clutch. So far so good.

beaner

Quoting Alpha Male:
B, i skimmed this thread you linked and didnt see anythign that stuck out? whats the deal? ive got an old school 2100 in mine now and considering a revised street disc, but my room mate has an old 2600 with revised sprung 6 puck and has no issues with the clutch.

Post #18 in that thread. The South Bend kevlar disc. I currently have this setup.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned