The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ACT 2600 Garbage

4Grim

Well its been a few years since the clutch went out on the #1948...so finally this weekend I got motivated to replace the clutch. Me and Mikeyturbo tagged team on replacing the clutch this weekend.

I never raced the car, clutch is a ACT 2600 kit..maybe a dozen hard launches, but 99% I drove the car like I babied it. One morning on the way to work at the entrance of my subdivision at a stop, went to put it in 1st gear and couldn't get into gear. Just replace the slave and master clutch cylinder and no leaks whatsoever. Suspected that the issue with ACT discs springs coming apart was my suspect.

Well today..it was confirmed, it was the culprit. Here are a few pics of the carnage.

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Last edited:

We had one fall apart on a DD car that NEVER gets launched. They are such piles of sh*t. That was the second time it fell apart on that car too. I hate ACT disks so bad.

Boostdtalon

Yet it amazes me how many people still buy them. 192 came with a ACT, and that's the only time I've ever had a ACT in one of my cars. I had a stafe 2 competition clutch in my Evo and had a stocker in my Talon since it was never heavily modded till right before I sold it.

vegeta1170

I just pulled mine out this weekend and it looked the same as yours.

Barnes

Surprised this board doesn't have an 'ACT Hall of Shame' yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

4Grim

There are better alternative products out there. Hopefully those looking into buying ACT see this thread and read others experience with their garbage product.

nickbuilt

yea some people have luck with them and some people have bad luck with them i dont know what to say in this situation i have one in my car so far so good i think next one imma go with is gonna be a southbend clutch!

-nick

onesickcrx

I had a centerforce had 0 issues was a great clutch

Twindisk now

Quoting RHDVR4GALANT:
great as I just bought a ACT. My disk looks different?

That's the newer design. The same as we had fail. I would use ACT but ONLY with an unsprung hub disk.

RHDgalantVR4

guess we will see what happens with mine. every one of my buddies who run dsm's (6 of them) have had no such issues?

IncorpoRatedX

i too prefer clutchnet's design over ACT's

beaner

The springs on new discs hit the fingers of older pressure plates. At some point and time there was a revision to the disc with the springs being larger. Somehow ACT hasn't figured this issue out yet while the entire DSM community has. Shame.

Solution

For what it's worth I've ran nothing but 2600s since 2001 and have been fully satisfied with them.

Glad I saw this. I was going to replace my clutch this fall. ACT is off the list.

TurboTrader

I've had similar experience with an XTD 6-puck sprung. I won't lie and say it wasn't launched a few times, but I feel a 6-puck should be able to hold up some.

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

I've heard alot of similar cases with ACT too, from what I understand, their quality has declined greatly over the past few years.

Rausch

I think it's a bit of a crap shoot with most all the companies. For example:

Quote:
Clutchnet FTW.

NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS will I do business with them again. Ever. A company that makes clutches should actually understand what you order when you order it, especially when you chose from the options THEY present. 3 rounds of debate, shipping and returns before I gave up and went elsewhere. Never again.

By the same token, My ACT held up wonderfully (2600 street disc) and to my understanding, is still doing well as we speak. Go figure.

4thStroke

As much as I'd love to contribute, I beat on my ACT 2600/sprung 6 puck. It went down the track many, many times and I wasn't easy on the streets, either and it actually held up to 530whp for a while of daily driving. It was later replaced with a twin because of lockout issues, but it never did fall apart. They don't like to shift at 9k RPM.

RHDgalantVR4

Gonna Hope for the best got mine to my door for $400 couldn't beat the price for the budget I have.

BoostedAWD91

crazy, ive been running a act 2600 for 8 years now and ive never ever once had a problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned