The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

? about arp main studs

THEKID

how do you bolt down the oil pick up when you use arp main studs? the original main bolt has a stud on it for a nut to hold down oil the pickup. but when you use main studs there all the same so how do you hold down the pick up?

Just cut off the little bracket that goes to the main cap. I've done it several times and never had any problems.

3rdstrikedsm

I usally take a dremel and oval out the hole and use red locktite and a nut to hold it.

THEKID

Quoting RvlutionMtrsport:
Just cut off the little bracket that goes to the main cap. I've done it several times and never had any problems.

so i can just cut off the support arm and it wont cause any problems? no added stress on the front cover where the pick up bolts to?

I've never seen or heard of a case where somebody cut it off and had problems. 2G Eclipse turbo motors don't have that bracket and they don't have problems. On a setup with ARP main studs and a girdle it takes more than just making the hole bigger.

3rdstrikedsm

I would not do that if you run a bse kit because the added vibrations will eventually cause the pickup to crack and you will lose oil pressure and we all know the tragic end to that story.

^ Actually it won't, that's purely speculation. Go look at the way MOST pick-up tubes mount up... no additional bracket. Do what you want but cutting it off has worked just fine for me and every other person that I've ever seen do it. I guess we're all just lucky.

prove_it

I just notched the bracket so that it would rest around the stud but not be bolted down, yet still had support if it needed it. just to be safe...

THEKID

Quoting RvlutionMtrsport:
^ Actually it won't, that's purely speculation. Go look at the way MOST pick-up tubes mount up... no additional bracket. Do what you want but cutting it off has worked just fine for me and every other person that I've ever seen do it. I guess we're all just lucky.

jesse i will take your word for it its one of the few on here that can be trusted. im choppin it off tomorrow when the assembly continues.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I was able to keep mine no problem. I only remember adding a washer for it to fit properly without preloading or bending it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

^ If you don't have a girdle it should still fit with very little work. If you don't have a girdle go ahead and keep it on. I did my research before I cut mine off and didn't find a single case of it causing a problem so I went ahead and cut it off. I was reluctant to do so at first but after talking to several other reputable 4g63 engine builders I did it with confidence and haven't worried about it since.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Mines is cut also. 4k miles and going strong.

3rdstrikedsm

I am just saying that if it were my engine I would never chance something that could have been prevented so easily but go ahead chop away it your motor not mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brianawd

Quote:
I am just saying that if it were my engine I would never chance something that could have been prevented so easily but go ahead chop away it your motor not mine.

You do know that a 1g and 2g pick up tube are the same. With the only difference being the 1g has the brace. So like jesse said if a 2g can run with out the brace so can a 1g.

prove_it

you'll only have a problem if you hit the oil pan hard enough to dent it into the pickup. If you do that you'll have a bigger problem than the pickup anyways.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned