The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

94' JDM 7th Gen VR4, new owner. NEED HELP FINDING PARTS! And anything else a 6A12tt owner should know?

Hey guys. Recently bought this JDM 1994 Galant VR4 7th Gen in Florida with about 74k km on it and am loving my ownership. Decided to finally join the forums despite having a weird generation and an even weirder motor, the 6a12tt. Before I get to asking boring questions, the story of this car is it was imported by Duncan classic cars and sold in VA, made its way to FL after purchase, and resold to me a few months back. I've checked the vin on Japan's carvx (basically Carfax for Japan) to verify it's miles (or km in this case?) and services, thankfully it all checks out. From here I have been working on keeping everything up to date (maintenance, repairs, etc) and stock, I guess where I'm left scratching my head is I've had major trouble with parts, which I'm sure is quite obvious. Was able to import a new timing belt kit and some other bits, but can't for the life of me find the rear right side window regulator assembly with the motor and regulator together. This part has recently gone and I need a new one asap. Anyone know if this part is crossed over on other generations and I can get away with a similar part number? And does anyone have tips and suggestions for how I can source this or other parts? Amamaya and other Japan parts sites only sell these parts separate (or so it shows), I need the full assembly. If anyone has connections with international parts yards or anything that I can use resource wise I'd be forever thankful. The part numbers are MR135160 and MB926820 for the motor and regulator.

Pics of car and part needed at the end shown here:

PXL_20230826_192630511.jpg

PXL_20230829_000918370.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20230826_160503689.jpg

PXL_20230826_160431250.jpg

PXL_20230827_142337728.jpg

PXL_20231111_151254637.jpg

gvr4ever

It looks like a EVO and a Diamante had a baby. Nice ride for sure. A manual swap would be sweet.

Ah thats a beauty! Rare is an understatement for it. Good luck in the parts quest and keep the pictures comin
Thank you, currently daily drive it. Working on getting it in for the timing belt asap, need my mechanic to break me off some time. That's my only stress at the moment, it's my only transportation 😅.

Galant_martin

Yea it‘s a very nice car.
Had the same, but as an E88A

2,5L V6 DOHC N/A, 175hp and 4wd 4ws with Electronic ride Control (soft/sport) when I was 18… dumbass sold it bc i dont know how to repair/ maintenance..

I hope you enjoy this very cool car ;)

gvr4ever

Thank you, I still can't believe I own it. With the little one now thankfully I don't mind not being manual but I do miss it at times
Is it a 4sp or 5sp? Manual might not make it much faster, if any. Some of the auto DSMs worked better at the drag strip with a torque converter upgrade, compared to the manual. A few have done manual to auto swaps as well. If anything, likely more reliable.

Is it a 4sp or 5sp? Manual might not make it much faster, if any. Some of the auto DSMs worked better at the drag strip with a torque converter upgrade, compared to the manual. A few have done manual to auto swaps as well. If anything, likely more reliable.
It's an auto, 4 spd. Currently dealing with alternator issues, that's the only hiccup it has. Cars starting to give me issues when I throw load on it like headlights, radio, AC at same time. Any clue how I can chase this down or if any of y'all have had any alternator issues ever? I read a steady 14.3 at idle. Wonder if I'm getting a power draw off somewhere in the car or alternator connections? So many things. But one things for sure: need alternator done asap. $680 for one from Japan and don't wanna pay that, so damn I hope I can find a crossover part # or this week I'm biting the bullet and getting it off amayama

Last edited:

raptorWagon

It's an auto, 4 spd. Currently dealing with alternator issues, that's the only hiccup it has. Cars starting to give me issues when I throw load on it like headlights, radio, AC at same time. Any clue how I can chase this down or if any of y'all have had any alternator issues ever? I read a steady 14.3 at idle. Wonder if I'm getting a power draw off somewhere in the car or alternator connections? So many things. But one things for sure: need alternator done asap. $680 for one from Japan and don't wanna pay that, so damn I hope I can find a crossover part # or this week I'm biting the bullet and getting it off amayama
That's the issue with an engine that was never available in North America. Parts availability... better off looking to Europe, Australia, or SE Asia for bits.

Alternator draw, could be not enough grounds, maybe see about an upgrade if possible. Albeit, nothing on this forum will cater to your platform as everything here is 6th gen E38A/39A 4g63t related, not 6A1x engine family.

For real, sucks. Thankfully have met a lot of international folks on the Facebook groups. Have someone in Poland trying to source an alternator now. Who knows maybe I'll buy the new one soon. Gotta figure out checking the grounds to see if it's just that because it's an odd issue. Wanna have the old one rebuilt better by a local shop if possible too. When all electronics are off the cars fine. But when you turn on the radio it starts to struggle. Been trickle charging it whenever I get home for now. Gunna try and see if my mechanic has some time this weekend so we can get under it. Alternators in a sh*t spot, top right of motor buried under stuff 😅

PXL_20231116_023330899.jpg

PXL_20231115_013514188.jpg

PXL_20231116_023336974.jpg

How old is the battery?
Brand new. 3/23. Have the classic alternator issue signs too. When I turn headlights on, my ac screen and dash clock dims, etc. when I also am using headlight and brake, it seems the lights dim too. Just hope I can sort this within the next month or so

Last edited:
Did the window last night, door panel back on, you'd almost never know it was taken off aside from the obvious tape marks. Gotta clean those off today. Car seems to be doing better after trickle charging for two days, could play the stereo this morning for a while and tested some things while driving. Will have to really see whats going on but for now I found a used alternator and snagged it. Gunna just keep dropping pics on this post as the car gets more and more upkeep

PXL_20231117_123650379.jpg

PXL_20231117_123715375.jpg

Screenshot_20231116-151103.png

raptorWagon

Did the window last night, door panel back on, you'd almost never know it was taken off aside from the obvious tape marks. Gotta clean those off today. Car seems to be doing better after trickle charging for two days, could play the stereo this morning for a while and tested some things while driving. Will have to really see whats going on but for now I found a used alternator and snagged it. Gunna just keep dropping pics on this post as the car gets more and more upkeep

View attachment 3550

View attachment 3551

View attachment 3552
That part# cross references to a nissan/infinity g35 alternator, just a different pulley per application ofc.
Its a 150A alternator, interesting.

That part# cross references to a nissan/infinity g35 alternator, just a different pulley per application ofc.
Its a 150A alternator, interesting.
I did notice that in my search, was too afraid to snag that one because of possible mounting differences as well as being 60amps more than stock. Hopefully the used one works fine or if not, I'll find a shop that will rebuild it (hopefully)

More amps are always good 😀
So I found something off today after getting home. The cars been acting super weird and when I got home it acted dead. I plugged the car in to charge and couldn't get it to start even after charging. Got frustrated and decided to jump the car, it then begins to run fine on full load with lights and etc. Disconnect the charger while running and it continues to run fine for about 5 min on its own with lights on. Turn car off and then it begins to restart fine under its own power again and run. I searched for ground locations as I'm unfamiliar as hell, and found this rusty and corroded mess. Could this be the issue with my electrical and why my cars acting out? It seems to be a significant amount of wires grounded here.

PXL_20231121_012150944~2.jpg

PXL_20231121_012118436.jpg

PXL_20231121_012109217.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned