The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

560 build thread

clevr4

Found my leak problem. Did a great job on the gasket. Come to find out the adapter is cracked any clue where I can get this fitting?
20150620_151319_zpszsgxarck.jpg
[/url][/img]

20150620_151234_zps80ns1wzh.jpg
[/url][/img]

clevr4

I think I found the fitting. Jnz tuning has it. Hope is the right an size. Also referring to my knock pOst. I changed plugs to br7es I was running br7ix

clevr4

jb weld till the new one comes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

GSTwithPSI

The flange split because it looks like some dumbass screwed a NPT pipe fitting into a flange meant for standard threads. You need to ditch that whole sh*t show and start over.

Go to this website: click

Enter in your specifics and throw that sh*t you have on the car currently in the garbage. If you want to know how NOT to run a drain line for a turbo, look at what's currently on your car.

clevr4

I get you see something wrong. For my sanity. Will you explain more? And they don't have my turbo under there options. Atleast for oIL return line.

clevr4

Yes my sh*t is whack looking at it. Like 4 different angled to make the fIt.

GSTwithPSI

^ Yes, exactly. You want the most direct path without a bunch of bends or restrictions. Basically, you want to mimic the stock return line, like so:

oil-return.jpg

I'd even go a step farther than the picture above and replace that 90 degree bend with a 45. I also wouldn't use anything smaller than -10 AN. Keep in mind, the primary thing that allows oil to drain off the turbo is gravity, hence the drain line design being so important.

Here's a good example, although I'd replace the hose clamp on the turbo side with an AN fitting:
DSC00593.jpg

For your car, the turbo side flange is probably the standard Mistu flange (shown as PSI-FLG-MIT), but you'll need to measure it and verify. For the bottom, it's anyone's guess since it looks like someone welded a female bung into the pan. Judging from the previous work I've seen, I'm guessing it's something uncommon, which will make your life hard.

Whoever you got this car from was an idiot. The last time I saw so many hack jobs in one place was back when I owned 1813. I apologize if some of my posts come across and asshole-ish, but I'm here to help. Don't let me discourage you from posting. You're doing to right thing by fixing all this crap, so let us know what else you find, and if you need more help with the drain. You have my number as well, so feel free to hit me up there too.

Last edited:

clevr4

Thanks man. Yeah the oil pan inlet is a male an fitting adapter I'm guessing. The -10 fits well on it. I may order a new set. But I did just order that adapter from jnz. I may be able to cancel before they send it

GSTwithPSI

This doesn't look like a male AN fitting. It looks like a female weld-in bung with some sort of NPT fitting screwed into it. If it were a male AN fitting, you could simply connect a female AN fitting right up. Take a better picture.

img.php

clevr4

Yeah I'll post a picture of the oil pan. What should screw into the turbo drain fitting?

clevr4

Ahh I see the. Turbo drain should be male. Mine is female. That would make more sense. Why is my sh*t so backwards? Lol

clevr4

The bung on the oil pan is actually going to work. It is a male fitting -10 an. The female -10 fits well on it

clevr4

I wasn't able to stop that part from getting delivered, yes I know it's all screwed. But I installed it anyways. I will add that to the list of things I need to fix right. been on hold with paychecks since starting a new job. So in the next couple weeks I'll be back in the grind, not scrounging just to make things work.

I'm on this site way too much, seeing everyone elses build. I'm starting to envy a lot of gvr4 on here. I have actually begun imagining a goal for 560. I won't bail on this project, money seems to be the biggest constraint. After I get things back kosher leak wise and mechanically I will upgrade to v3. Dial in my tune and really learn ecmlink. I remember someone posting on this thread about literature I should read, I'll go head and find those and learn the background stuff. I'm not sure if I am happy with the turbo I am running. when it finally kicks in it hits hard, but i feel a better quality turbo will feel smoother and produce power more effecient. I need to do research on new headers and the turbo applications. I could probably improve performance with something of better quality. I've read on other threads that aftermarket intake manifolds aren't really necessary for building power until higher hp. But I'm interested in bigger throttle body and intake combo.
I know I have had my run in with the braking system on these galants, but i feel I didn't give it the proper attention and paciences the last time around. I want to go bigger and better quality on pads. Suspension may change in the future as well. New bushings, motor mounts and wheels are also on my radar. New seats and carpets will come after or while any of that is going on as well. Jdm bumper is a part of this somehwHere.

After all that ranting it's still a dream I'll be keeping things moving and enjoying while I can. But thanks all on this forum, so much damn knowledge on here foreal

clevr4

Nothing like doing a job 4 times. I'm losing faith in my mechanical ability. The replacement adapter came in. Installed and still leaking. Get paid friday will order the extreme psi oil drain kit. Hopefully that will be the last time doing that pos job

prove_it

Welcome, you are now a true brother in our circle of pain.

tektic

That blurry picture was my pan. It's a weld in 3/4 F-NPT with a reducer and then a 45 hose barb.

I went 3/4 npt because It's huge and one of the most universal adapters. I should always have many options on oil return no matter what turbo I may be using. Also If it can hold natural gas It won't leak motor oil on my driveway. So far so good.

clevr4

Got that jnz turbo drain line. Turns out it won't work. The flange I got for stock turbo is much smaller than the t04e... So I would have to use the same fitting I have . After adding a 45 male to male fitting, the space between turbo and pan was too small the adapters are touching eachother.
So I will fork out more money and get a straight adapter, and possibly find a flange for my turbo thats male

clevr4

Hey fellas, gallant is running well. I have some unsatisfactory conditions remaining but it gets me a to b consistently. I have smoke after throttling sometimes especially while reaching boost limits. I hate to come to you guys for explanition when you don't know the symptoms. But I think it might be my turbo. I'm not a big fan of this 50 trim turbo. I don't know the specs of the turbines I'm running but would like to know if there is options to replacing the internals with something more effecient and better quality. If not, will a smalller turbo bolt right on to my dp/ wastegate setup? That turbo has a ton of power but how late it kicks in is not my cup of tea, I don't want to let off throttle when I'm maxing boost in third, but my engine doesn't like it, my knock alert on ecm flashes from time to time. I know that's mostly due to my tune and getting rid of that. But I have turned the boost down till I find a solution .

That's my biggest concern at the moment. Hopefully when I sell some of my other cars ill upgrade to v3 and really learn the tuning. I also have some small jobs that previously have been stated but have been neglected. On a good note I'm rocking with my new oil cap, definetly like that thing. Thanks vert . If only I had matching plug cover /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.

Hopefully I'm right about turbo seals blown or something. I really should get my oil pressure gauge working, give me an idea of where I'm at. I will also replace the fuel filter and get a better quality oil filter. I love this car just little things add up on these beasts. Definetly much respected by people who know what they are, same when I had the Celica all trac

clevr4

A little update. got the old turbo and manifold out of 560. stuck in the new bad boy. warped the banjo bolt to head so I will be at dealership in the morning to get a new one. just have to swap o2 sensor and install downpipe then I should be turning the key.

anyone happen to know the torque specs on that head banjo bolt? I don't want to strip the threads.

thanks yall. hope my evo 3 16g is sweet. I put oil in the feed line I don't know how much I should run through it to prime the beast but I definitely want everything to be running smooth when I do start her up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned