The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4ws light and problems

tsijohn333

When i first got my gvr4, the 4ws light has never been on. For about the past month, the 4ws light would light up on cold starts and turn off about 200 feet down the road. Well i started to feel a bad vibration in the front passanger side wheel area. i needed a new cv shaft and a new lower ball joint. I replaced all those and all was good for about a week or so.

Then my driver side wheel started to wobble anytime i turned the wheel to the right or accelerated. My 4ws light would stay on for about 10 miles on cold starts when this happened and then turn off after. Well i diagnosed it as a bad driver side wheel bearing. i replaced that today and drove off the lot and oh man was is soooo smooooth! no more wobble or 4ws light. i drove to my girlfriends house and about half way there, i started to feel a small vibration when crusing (not turning) and the 4ws light is back on when i go to start it up and will shut off in about 5-7 miles.

I noticed that when i turn the wheel all the way to either the left or right, the 4ws light will light up and stay on until i drive again. (from already being driven)

My question is, what are other diagnoses for my 4ws light be on and vibration. Its not as smooth now when driving from when i first got my car back from my wheel bearing being pressed in. Any help would be appreciated.

I have no power steering leaks btw and the reservoir is nice filled.

fuel

The 4WS light is literally only triggered by the level sensor in the power steering reservoir - it could be something as simple as a sticking float as the level goes up and down when turning the steering wheel, or could be a faulty power steering pump or something impeding the flow of power steering fluid returning to the reservoir.

tsijohn333

Thank you for the quick reply! Do you think i should start with a power steering flush then?

how come everytime my 4ws light turned off, the car "seemed" to drive smoother... or is that just in my head lol

and to add another note, the mechanic that pressed in my wheel bearing today at mitsubishi said that the 4ws is tied in to my vehicle speed sensor and abs???? is that true? he said my light was on due to the wobbling of my wheel. he said the abs sensor or speed sensor was being thrown off due to my bad wheel bearing therefore throwing the 4ws light on.... i dont know much about the our 4ws and how it works but i didnt know if that is somewhat true or not?

SouthCaliVR4

No such tie in. our abs is a stand alone system not tied into any other, ditto on the 4ws. the speed sensitivity comes from the pump driven off the rear diff.

You don't need to flush the system. you need to check for leaks & fix them. topping up the fluid in the meantime will tend to the light. as for the car feeling better light out, yup probably in your head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned