The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3000gt brakes???

birdman24

Hi, guys back with a couple questions. I saw in the how to section that Garfield Wright used 91-93.5 3000gt vr4 calipers and 94-99 rotors, does it need to be these ranges of years for some reason unknown by myself? Do the calipers need to be from a 3000gt vr4 or will a base 3000gt have the same brakes that are used? Also, I have 17x7 +40mm wheels currently on my car, is it possible for me to do this upgrade with out buying new wheels?

Last edited:

89Mirageman

I want to say that the offset is different on the calipers for some reason but maybe Garfield will chime in on the exact difference. I can say for sure that the na stealths and 3000's use the twin piston calipers like the GVR4's come with so that wouldn't be an upgrade at all.

That's what the kit is setup for & you must stick with the parts I listed. The reason is the 2nd gen 3kgt vr4 calipers have longer mounting ears than the 1st gen 3kgt vr4 calipers. This means a larger rotor would have to be sourced if you want to use the 2n gne 3kgt vr4 calipers.

JSchleim18

What's the difference between the 91-93 rotors and 94-99s?

birdman24

JSchleim18. I talked to a buddy of mine today who has a stealth and he said the 94-99 rotors are an inch bigger.

birdman24

Hey Garfield, will my current wheels work with these calipers?

BrandonEchols

Why don't you check to see if your current wheels will fit a 3KGT VR4?
That would be a good indicator.

birdman24

How can I check? If I knew how to check I wouldn't have asked G.W.
I saw in the how-to that the wheels he recommends are "17x8 +38mm offset or 18x7.5 with a minimum of +18mm offset or be prepared to use wheel spacers." I'm just wondering if mine will work.

raptorWagon

They probably won't clear the 4 pot calipers, that's why GW recommends the lower offset on the 17x8s, there aren't a whole lot of 17s that will clear 4 pot calipers.

The 17x7+40 will not clear unless you run some serious spacers. I spent the better part of a year putting all those parts & combos together so if you follow the how-to you can't go wrong, simple.....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned