The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1990 GVR4 , Japanese Maufacture

Ethan

Hi,

I am Ethan Windwalker from Myanmar. And, following are pics of my VR4.
Still with no performance mod. Cos, I don't have ability to do this. ( I am doctor, who work for health project. So, lack of brain at Car Mod, Maintain & Repair. May be , it is just me. But I can drive well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Damage at front bumper. Cos, I had accident /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Could people from here, kindly advice me the suitable way to maintain and upgrade this car?

Facts I would like to know, recently are
-Engine oil --> Which kind is suit? , Change after how many mileage? ( Myanmar has hot weather )
-Automatic transmission fluid --> Which kind is suit?
-Radiator --> How often should flush?
-Grease --> How often service?
-Oil filters, Air filter --> How often change?
-Tyre pressure --> Which pressure is suit? ( Michelin 205/65 )
-Timing Belt --> When to change ?
-Which parts should I pay attention?

What I already did were
-Have radiator flush and repair ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif damage at accident )
-Already check bottom of car & replace damage shock absorber and bush
-Installed HKS turbo timer
-Paint Brake Caliper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ( I could do that )

Problem I facing are
-Sense, little bit kick in feel, when shift to D from N. And, sound "Dote", and a lil kick in at shift to R.
-Got a little bit leakage from water pump seal.

And, I would like to know Part no. for Disc Brakes .

Could someone here, help me, pls.

Thz and with Regard,
Ethan

GSX_TC

Welcome to galantVR4.org your engine is clean. Did you paint your headlights blue or something or is that just from the neons?

EgonOlsen

That was a very neutral statement coming from you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I would say the neons are horrible.

Lovely car though, didnt know JDM VR4 came as Autos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RedTwo

Very... blue.
If your water pump is leaking maybe you should replace it? While you're doing that you could replace all the belts and fluids /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Ethan

Hello,

One I forgot to mention is Mileage is 65,000 Kilometer .

@ GSX_TC -
Thz for the welcome. I put Headlight Sticker on Headlights.

@ turbowop & EgonOlsen -
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif Ok, I will consider about turning of Neon. But, my frds told me that, car is look better with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, it come with Auto. I prefer Manual one. But, can't help it. Cos, car is the gift from My Dad's frd. And, condition is nice and clean. So, I don't try to have another one.

@ RedTwo -
I have plan to repair the pump. But, problem I facing is... . TIM ( This is Myanmar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

In our word we got many Phyatchanic ( Phyat = Destroy ). I mean, there are many incompetent mechanic, who only can repair Toyota car well. Cos, they work with their hand and reflex. Step one, then Step two, then Step three.

If the car is different build, they said " Oh, it is easy job". And, do " test repairing" (Like - what is this wire, better plug it out. Result? Oh, nth happen, better unplug it. So, it wouldn't waste voltage anymore.I save battery life. I am a hero now!)( What, 4WD? Owner is so stupid. Pity him, I better cancel 4WD and 4WS for better fuel/Mileage. After doing that, go to owner and said " Hey, u should thz me, I just make your car more efficient " . Most Myanmar owner will thz to that kind of mechanic. If owner angry at what that mechanic did. He will say " Yah, easy. I will undo it" . Yes, really undo. Cos, things are not functioning well, after that.

For me, I met with that kind of mechanic alot. Recently, I replace my head gasket, change engine oil filter. I am too bz at that time and couldn't wait at workshop. When I back to pick my car, Mechanic said to me " Yo, Boss, I save yr money " . That stupid put, low quality parts into my car. So, I have to change engine oil again. Btw: they said to me "Why are u so serious? That engine oil is low quality. But, u don't race with this car, right? So, what we did is better choice. U are just wasting yr money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif )
Not only once, when I had accident and have to replace Bumper and Radiator. They did with cheap method. That why, my car bumper is twisting a bit. When I ask them to repair again. They said "Bumper is find, lil twist is not a prb at all. Don't waste 30$ for that minor thing. Plus, I am very bz now. So, even if u want, I can't repair it again" ( Cool! Costumer minded. Isn't? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif ). And, radiator is keep leaking. They said, "it is ok. Just put 1 litre per day and u will be find". So, I have to go to radiator specialize shop and replace it.

Oh, long words. But, I would like to present, what it is like living in Myanmar .

EgonOlsen

omg. :p

Well that aside, when I bought mine, Ive never repaired anything on a car before, kinda like you really.
I still dont know that much, but this is a great place to ask if you can handle the comments once in a while about how stupid you actually are about cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

This is maybe not the easiest car to learn on, but really not the hardest either and there are loads of info about repairing anything on them on the webby.
not to mention this great forum where all together they know everything there is to know about them.
You can ask them all and sometimes they will even give replies we, with our limited knowledge, can understand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But first, loose the neons, this aint "the fast and the furious" even if we are both, specially when seeing things like those neons on a VR4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
And if you want help, try asking 1 thing at a time, like, how do I replace the radiator or similar. also remember to search for answers, the search engine here is a little strange, you have to put + in front of every word you search for. took me a while to figure that our :p also www.vfaq.com is a great source /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway welcome here, now at least im not the 1 here that knows least about fixing cars. :p

Last edited:

misterfixit

I know exactly how you feel. Shops and mechanics and cars here in the Philippines are exactly the same.
I nearly gave up totally arguing with a guy at Banawe this christmas. Amazingly he was trying to tell me a gas tank he was holding twas the same as the one I was holding. They were off of two totally different cars, two totally different shapes, and with the sending unit in a whole different location. Absolutely amazing.

Everything I have learnt on cars has been self taught the hard way and I started from nothing. Get lloking around and download the shop manual. Anything extra needed is either already scanned and hiding on the forum or can be supplied if needed.

If like here copyshops are cheap then print the whole book so you have a reference to hand.

My figuring for me was: If people in the shops can do it (badly) then I can learn what is needed and do it myself. Have a poke around here and you'll be pleasantly surprised how helpful we can be.

This is a good forum crossing many continents in its community. Welcome.

Oh and I agree with the others on the neons. You need to loose them.

Rich

fuel

yes JDM models did come auto and being a facelift model and despite having a smaller TD04-13G turbo it still outputs 210PS, which is more than the earlier JDM 5-speed manual models and the USDM/ADM models too. Check click for more info.

Ethan

@EgonOlsen
Thz a lot for the information and help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

@Misterfixit
Wow! Love that printing reference idea. I am kinda stupid. Download the page into mobile and checking from it. Ya, paper is better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif I can turn off those light.

@Fuel
Information you supply could be helpful to me. Really thank you.

Now, i am surfing through the forum and collecting information. Long journey start with a single step. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

misterfixit

If you need a quick parts reference go to www.japancars.ru.

Select mitsubishi. Then Japan in russian which is:Япония Ro something... if it doesn't display. (first in the first dropdown)

Then work your way through the drop downs. I take it you manged to find the shop manual online through this site.

There's also loads of info archived for your car here too. For JDM specific info you might want to remeber this index: click

Rich

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned