The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

car wont build boost! WTF? please help!

turbofoxlx

Hello let me introduce myself, my name is mario and I've been a member of this forum since dec and this is my first post. I am fairly new to the dsm crowd, my dad had a gvr4 when I was a kid and when I was 15 I baught 89 laser turbo that I did not have for long but that is the extent of expierience with dsm's. I later became a die hard ford mustang fan and have owned many since but I purchased a '92 gvr4 as a LITTLE project for me and my dad from a member here back in dec and it has been put on the back burner till now. I got the car as is and trying to make it work with what I got.the car has a maft with a 3" gm maf, an ebay evo III 16g, 3" downpipe, and 2.5" catback. Here is my problem I can't get the dam thing to build any boost.first I inspected all the ic pipeing but all seems good. Then I suspected the cheap korean turbo made by a hungry under paid asian child so I removed it along with manifold for a closer look only to find that everything seemed ok so I put it all back together with new gaskets and all but as I installed the j pipe I noticed it woul hit the valve cover and not allow the flange to lay flat on the turbo (didn't notice prior to removal). I thaught I had found my no boost issue so picked up my torch and bent the j pipe away from the vc to allow it to sit flat on the turbo, I also resurfaced the flange to insure a proper seal. I put it all together and ah ha still NO Boost. Now I can here the bov dump alittle but not building any boost! Please help this thing has me stumped! Thanks, mario -sorry for such a long story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lonewolf64

Check for boost leaks using an air compresssor and a boost leak tool (easily built, check www.vfaq.com for instructions on how to do it).

Nartanian

Wastegate spring is weak or stuck open? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

OH good one first thing I thought of also. Wasnt that one of the first things you were to check on the cheap Ebay 16g.. The wastegate flapper would stick open.. Save your self some headaches down the road an pick up a real 16G..

OH good one first thing I thought of also. Wasnt that one of the first things you were to check on the cheap Ebay 16g.. The wastegate flapper would stick open.. Save your self some headaches down the road an pick up a real 16G..

Opps Welcome.. LOL

turbofoxlx

Thanks for the replies guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Ive read that the wg on the ebay turbo has been an issue for everyone who has used it but they did not mention what the effects of the faulty wg was. Could this be a possible reason as to why my car wont boost? also the vacuum lines all seem to have been tampered with so I will have to check that out also. Does anyone have some advice as far as the vacuum lines are concerned and do you think that they would contribute to my problem? One more thing, with the maft installed two factory connectors stay unpluged would this cause an ill effect? I will take some pics 2nite so you guys can see the mess Im working /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Thanks again for all the help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would say there has to be something wrong with your wastegate make sure its on the o2 housing properly

Hertz

Staff member
You shouldn't have any unplugged anything related to the air sensor. It might be something else that is unplugged. Pics would help here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

blacksheep

I found a crush washer stuck between the fins and compressor housing once on my 16G that made it build no boost.
Check the wastegate arm to flapper door cotter pin dealie...

turbofoxlx

Ok just got home and had a chance to snap some shots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Please do not judge me or my mechanical skill by these pics as this was not my doing lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you guys can point out some things that you see need correcting (what dosn't need correcting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif). the close up of the plugs are the ones I mentioned earlier, they are just ziptied out of the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Let me know what you guys think

Thanks a million /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

turbofoxlx

Hertz

Staff member
Okay, I see a stock hotside IC pipe... that thing is probably split (the nylon covered rubber). Also, Fernco plumbing couplers/transitions... okay on the intake, BAD on the compressed side.

That unplugged stuff is for various solenoids and crap that was removed. Shouldn't be a problem there.

you're missing the ground the throttle body, it goes from the support bracket to the open bolt hold on the TB.

I'm confused by the purple wire just hanging out off the MAFT... MAYBE that was an Aux trigger output, but I'm not sure, I don't remember having loose wires on mine.

turbofoxlx

Ok so I checked everything you guys suggested, thanks by the way. The boost leak test revealed many leaks, most of wich were just loose fittings. Got all the leaks taken care of except the tb wich leaks slightly but not enough to not allow the system to pressurize. Was all excited to go for a spin and see what would happen but just my luck, NOTHING! Next I checked and adjusted the wg actuator but all seems ok, but if the actuator was bad it would cause an overboost problem. I made sure the the rod from the actuator is pulling the flapper arm nice and tight and still no boost??? WTF? Talked to the guys at FP today about a new MHI evo 3 big 16g and they are on sale for $499 so I might go that rought.

Why are you running the MAFT? Have you had it tuned? Have you tried the stock MAS?

Hertz

Staff member
So you were able to pressurize the system... that just leaves the turbo? Do you get a few psi, or zero, or what? Does the car DO anything funky at 0psi? Bucking? Hesitating?

turbofoxlx

Sorry for the late reply. Thank all of you for the great advice! Good news is I fixed the problem!! Can you believe it was a clogged intercooler /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I can't believe that none of us or several other qualified professionals that I explained my problem to ever considered the intercooler to be the culprit! I credit all of you for helping me solve this through the process of elimination. I am now having a separate issue which I will start another thread about as soon as I have some time.

Thank you,
Mario

MitchooO

just something else incase you didnt take notice, that POS battery cable is damn close to grounding out on the brass connector to the fenderwell...maybe not yet but as soon as it touches any bare metal, atleast wrap it in electrical tape for now so nothing happens by accident, some of these cars dont need help having a shorted wire lol..

MitchooO

turbofoxlx

Good looking out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but I already handled that potential catastrophe!

MitchooO

good to hear! that gave chills when i saw that! i wouldnt have started the car with it like that! lol...

Ian M

Quote:

Can you believe it was a clogged intercooler I can't believe that none of us or several other qualified professionals that I explained my problem to ever considered the intercooler to be the culprit!

What the heck was it clogged with? I can't say I've heard of anyone with that problem before. No wonder nobody guessed that. You gotta ask what other issue is causing that problem.

I'll second what someone else said about what appears to be a Fernco coupler (near the intake pipe). Now that it's making boost,that thing is going to split and blow out.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned