The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

13" brake kit install with pictures

Luke

Puny stock 11" brake setup.

Note the routing of the stock brakeline setup, which we will follow with the new stainless steel brakeline.
Clean and PB blast the fittings before removal.

Remove the stock caliper and brakeline.
Then, separate out the brakeline bracket that bolts on to the strut. This bracket will be reused.

Remove the stock rotor

13" cobra rotor versus 11" stock rotor.
I redrilled the 13" rotor to 4-lug setup.

Put anti-seize on the rotor mating surface, and bolt on the bracket.
I used anti-seize on the bolts, and torqued to 55 lb.ft.
A slight amount of grinding on the bracket might be needed. ( Strangely, I didn't need to grind when installing the bracket on the passenger side knuckle, but grinding was needed on the driver side. )

Attach the rotor with the centering ring.
You now have a choice of removing the splash shield. I chose to keep it.
If you keep the splash shield, slightly bend it out of the way to avoid rubbing on the larger diameter rotor.

Clearance the caliper where it mounts to the bracket. Just try to bolt-on the caliper, and clearance as needed.
Also, the fins on the caliper is hitting my 17" wheels, so I had to unleash my die grinder on the offending fins.
You can say that I run a "ported" caliper setup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Finally, bolt the caliper onto the bracket.
I used loctite on it, and torqued to 65 lb.ft.

Use some hose and zip ties to secure the civic brake lines to the brakeline bracket, as such.
( Bonus point if you can line it up so that it says "Made in USA" as mine does /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif )

Attach the brakeline to the caliper and to the car as such.
I was able to reuse the stock U-clip to the bracket on the inner fender with very slight grinding of the new brakeline fitting. ( However, on the passenger side fitting, I didn't need to do any grinding to fit, so YMMV )

Closer look at the brakeline setup. Basically, it mimics the stock routing.

All done:

Last edited:

Rausch

very nice. you should include a list of parts and numbers if you have them. as well as estimate of total cost. looks good!!!

boostx

How does the pedal feel in compare to the stock one?

Last edited:

mr.mitsu

this should be moved to how to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

great write up... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

boostedinaz

Would love to get info on that bracket.

JNR

Did you get the bracket from Ron, or make it yourself?

Looks good and nice to have choices for large brakes, rather than overpriced (imo) Baer and others' setups!

btw, I'm sure it's been discussed, but are the Cobra's lug pattern the same as DSM 5-bolt (for swapped setups)? And, what years brakes work?

Luke

Quote:
very nice!
is that with the brackets from Ron?

Yes, this bracket is from ron.

The cost of this setup varies lot depending on how well you source the parts.
I bought everything brand new, but the calipers.

My total cost was $415.

This includes paying big $$$ to a machine shop for redrilling the rotors. ( don't ask me why I have the balls to do engine internals work, but not to redrill rotors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif )

This does not include a large can of unopened performance synthetic brake fluid. ( don't use brake fluid that has been sitting out, because brake fluid absords moisture from the air. )
You will need quite a bit of brake fluid to get all the air out from those empty calipers.

I would say that with a more careful part selection (i.e. cheap DSM-er way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) and more of your working time, this cost can be brought down to about $300.

Last edited:

Luke

Quote:
this should be moved to how to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

great write up... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

I second this, please move to how to section !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

curtis

From my mustang days the cobra 5 lug and all wheel disk break set-up was around 1000 from the ford motorsport catalog then we discovered that the PBR brand calipers from the corvettes we're the same thing ecept didn't have corvette embossed. This brought the cost down 50%

A friend of mine has the bigger rotors from a ford contour svt for his Merkur and got them for dirt nothing from ford. I'll see if I can get the size from him and a price I know there factory crossdrilled and less than 100 for both. This might be a usable thing with a little home work.

Anyway like the port work and the mod looks way cool. Now get back there on the rears with the factory fronts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Luke

>> I know there factory crossdrilled

FYI, if you're road-racing, do not cross drill the rotors.
It is not as strong as the non-drilled ones, and the cross-drilled ones will crack at where the holes are.

Great write up Luke. Now who wants the last set of brackets?

I have seen some drilled rotors develop small cracks but I haven't seen them fall apart. Real road racers that I know, change their pads and rotors too often anyways so they seldom fall apart on them. Oh, I don't know about those cheap ebay special cross drilled rotors.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

kcpaz

Quote:
>> I know there factory crossdrilled

FYI, if you're road-racing, do not cross drill the rotors.
It is not as strong as the non-drilled ones, and the cross-drilled ones will crack at where the holes are.

it's okay to used crossdrilled rotors for road racing (people do it all the time), but you have to inspect them after each event and replace them when they show signs of cracking.

gtride

Got dibs on the Last Brackets. I'll stop by your shop Ron tomorrow and pick them up if that's cool?

Luke

Posting some updates here..

The piston size of the camaro calipers move the brake balance too much to the fronts.
So, I researched, and found that you can simply swap the camaro calipers with the corvette ones.

Corvette calipers have smaller pistons, and make the brake balance much closer to the stock setup.
In addition, the smaller pistons and stiffer corvette calipers give you much better pedal feel.

Here you go:

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
I thought that might be the case but I've had no problems with the fronts locking up prematurely. What year 'Vette are they off of? I've got a hookup on 'Vette parts and could probably get a set for free.

John

Luke

Any C5 vette. It is the 2001 model. Not sure what year it starts and ends though.

Even the Z06 one would work.
The only difference between non-Z06 and Z06 calipers is the color.

Here are the piston sizes:
Stock caliper piston size is 41.3 mm
Camaro/LS1 caliper's is 45mm
C5 corvette's is 38mm
All of them are dual piston calipers.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts