The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

PSA - check your fuel filler hose

mk2davis

Less than two years ago, my OEM fuel filler hose sprang a leak. I found a thread on here that gave a great tutorial on how to replace it using stock diameter elbows (1 5/8"). I bought mine from fuelfillersupply.com.

Lately, I've been smelling gas when I exit the vehicle. I suspected the fuel filter connections, as I have recently replaced my fuel filter. That always appeared dry, and I carried on.

While smelling my brakes, I learned the culprit was my less than two year old solution. My filler hose was cracking like crazy!

Jump online, only to learn that stock size rubber elbows were no longer available. At least I couldn't find them. I considered an exhaust shop for a one piece solution, but didn't think they could make right enough bends. The best solution I came up with was stock od aluminum elbows for intercoolers. Mated with J1527 marine hose couplers (97 cents a foot), I rebuilt the tube. The new soft hose is significantly more stout than my previous set up.

Hopefully, this will last more than 2 years. The old house looked like radiator hose, although was not sold as such. I'm not saying it was, but there is a good reason the old house is no longer available from the manufacturer.

Take a moment and look at your filler hose, ESPECIALLY if you've rebuilt it using parts from fuelfillersupply.com. Simply pressurizing the old tubes with my mouth revealed leaks.

mk2davis

FYI, I cut off the ends of my old tube to help determine the length of my new tube. They were not originally that frayed.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts