The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Air Conditioning : To Delete or Not to Delete

Hello, first post on this forum. I tried searching but didn't find anything directly relevant to me. If i somehow did this post incorrectly, my apologies.
ANYWAY
I own 87/1000, recently bought from an older Gentlemen who was the original owner (92000 miles) and left it sitting for years. I've wrapped up all the necessary servicing (trans, oil, coolant, t belt etc) and got the car running smoothly. Unfortunately the A/C system is completely shot. Condenser has holes in it, lines are empty and were exposed to corrosion and the compressor does not cycle at all. The whole ac system would require a rebuild. My goal for the car is to restore it to stock condition, enjoy it for a few months to ensure its reliability/quality, then resell it to someone here in the community with appreciation for the car.

Rebuilding the whole system would be a bit costly and an invasive procedure under the hood. I have no problem doing it, but I'd like to hear from the veteran users whether I'll see a return in value from an ac rebuild come time to resell. Again my end goal is to sell the car as a mostly stock restoration after a few months of enjoying the end product.

boostme

Do you think by the time you're done with the restoration, summer will be over? It's one of those things where the next owner might not care about having AC or maybe like me, it's a must.

The project's conclusion is estimated to be mid November. I don't mind driving windows-down all year round, but that's just me. It looks like I would have to get a local radiator shop to recondition my current condenser as i cannot find any of them for sale no matter where I look.

gvr4ever

I would be sure to at least keep all the parts, for the next owner. My AC still works, and I wouldn't want to loose it. If the rest of the build is done right and the car is clean, I don't think the AC is going to make or break anything. I usually drive with the windows down in town, and I don't normally drive the Galant when it's really hot out, but on the HWY, I hate windows down. It's windows up and AC on.

I guess it would really come down to your build goals. If your building a really fast car for track use, I think AC would be less important. If your building a nice street ride, it would be more important.

JNR

Working A/C is a strong selling point and IMO no reason to remove it, unless 'racecar'. At the same time, replacing everything could get costly and R12 is $$$$ if you can find it. If you were going to go through all the trouble, think about converting it to at least R134A although even that they are planning to phase out (forgot the name of the newest version and/or if an R134A can convert to it easily)

Ok, thanks for the info everyone. I think i"ll finish everything in the build i wanted to do and then revisit the idea of the AC rebuild. I hadn't even considered that the car uses R12 so that's another factor right there. Thanks again

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts