The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Pulling fault codes

presterone

So I assume you attach a jumper wire to the ground and MPI terminal in the diagnostic box next to the kick panel fuse box? With the key on? I tried the other day and the check engine light did nothing

ktmrider

Nope wrong assumption. Look at the VFAQ, better yet bookmark the VFAQ for the procedure.

JNR

Be careful grounding out connectors, if you're not sure they're the right ones...electrical issues suck and I found out the hard way (no fault of mine other than not checking a bought harness) that these cars are interlinked a lot more than I thought was possible, with respect to the ECU, sensors and all that.

presterone

Yea the vfaq says get a buzzer I know but is that really what Mitsu techs did? There has to be something else,

DynastyLCD

i use a digital multimeter, with the continuity check. mine has a beeper when it has continuity, so this worked perfect.

DynastyLCD

yes

presterone

Such a pita the CEL only comes on after a couple minutes of idling or driving and as soon as I shut the car off it will go out and I will have no stored codes

presterone

Oh I thought it wouldn't work but last time I checked it while running the light must have gone out. This is an intermittent pain in the Arse

presterone

So I think I figured out I have a code 14 for throttle position here are the pulses.

s-L-L-S-L-S-S-S-S-L-L-L-S-L-S-S-S-S-L-L-L-S-L-S-S-S-S-L-L-L-S-L-S-S-S-S-L-L-L-S-L

I know its alot but I wasn't exactly confident on when to count and it seems like in the vfaq its five digits?
This makes sense because at light throttle at times the car will just sputter and the AFR's will drop from 14.7 to like 12.2

mitsuturbo

Quoting presterone:
Yea the vfaq says get a buzzer I know but is that really what Mitsu techs did? There has to be something else,

At the stealership, we used the MUT-II. It's a mitsubishi diag/scan tool. They work great for our cars, and other older mitsubishis. It even pulls ABS codes. They're cost-prohibitive for most of us, especially considering there are other ways to pull codes.

presterone

maybe all I have to do is adjust it? The TPS on my MR2 was really finicky I got it close enough by adjusting it maybe its the same deal with these cars? I mean its just a potentiometer correct?

James

You posted the readings yourself...

It's 31 and 14.

presterone

Yea Dick but I wasn't sure 100% just trying to verify because the four short pulses in a row threw me off and there wasn't always a long pulse after a short in the right sequence.

mitsuturbo

All you need to do, is this:

Go to the convenience store.

Buy a gallon of milk.

Go home.

Drink the gallon of milk.

Take the empty milk jug to the gas station.

Go to clerk of gas station.

Pay for one gallon of gas.

Ask for matches.

If they do not have matches, get a lighter.

Fill the jug with gasoline.

Go home, with your newly acquired gallon of gasoline.

Pour gasoline all over vehicle.

Use previously purchased matches or lighter to ignite gasoline, thus fully immolating the vehicle.

Relax, and watch it burn. Dick.

James

Quoting :

L-S-S-S-S (14)
L-L-L-S (31)
L-S-S-S-S (14)
L-L-L-S (31)
L-S-S-S-S (14)
L-L-L-S (31)
L-S-S-S-S (14)
L-L-L-S (31)

What part of this threw you off? (10+4=14) and (30+1=31)

presterone

I thought the short pulses in a row were indicating no codes this is the newb forum right?

hahaha dick although I do feel like lighting my car on fire sometimes

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts