GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Newbies » Re: Evo 8 cams?
Previous thread Next thread

Re: Evo 8 cams?

speedyvr4
Still looking for the forest!
536/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 431311 posted 01/17/07 07:56 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
so let me get this straight. The easiest, most bolt on way to use these cams would be to use aftermarket cam gears + evo cams. and the evo( exhaust) cam has the same notch for CAS as our 4g63's right ? AND, in order to use the evo cam gear, a hole has to be drilled where our dowels would go on our cam gears ?

Posts: 1245 | From: miami, fl | Member Since: 01/02/06 | IP: (76.209.82.77) | Report this post to a Moderator

dsm_drew
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 431323 posted 01/17/07 08:37 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

The easiest, most bolt on way to use these cams would be to use aftermarket cam gears + evo cams. and the evo( exhaust) cam has the same notch for CAS as our 4g63's right ? AND, in order to use the evo cam gear, a hole has to be drilled where our dowels would go on our cam gears ?

As I understand it, yes and no. The only difference the cam gears should make is where the timing marks will be. You can either use aftermarket gears or the stock EVO gears and have the correct timing marks. I'm guessing you could even use the old DSM/Galant gears if you wanted to make new timing marks on them in the correct place. There is no need to drill any holes anywhere. And yes, the EVO exhaust cam has the notch for the CAS so you would use it as the intake cam on our cars. Again this is what I've been told and has been confirmed by a few other people, but I haven't yet recieved my cams so I can't say 100% from experience.

| | | IP: (72.190.56.147) | Report this post to a Moderator

v8sareslo
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 431346 posted 01/17/07 09:29 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
What don't you understand about the cams being identical? THEY ARE THE SAME. BOTH INTAKE AND EXHAUST ARE THE SAME . WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE STILL FIGTING THIS. The bottom line is that it works and I have done it many times over, please let this issue rest. If you have doubts don't try it and if you want a cheap performance upgrade do it. This discussion is really pissing me right the hell off.

| | | IP: (63.164.215.50) | Report this post to a Moderator

dsm_drew
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 431348 posted 01/17/07 09:36 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
LOL

Threads like this make me want to do it even more.

speedyvr4
536/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 431371 posted 01/17/07 11:10 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

What don't you understand about the cams being identical? THEY ARE THE SAME. BOTH INTAKE AND EXHAUST ARE THE SAME . WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE STILL FIGTING THIS. The bottom line is that it works and I have done it many times over, please let this issue rest. If you have doubts don't try it and if you want a cheap performance upgrade do it. This discussion is really pissing me right the hell off.

So I will not need to modify the camgears, just use the evo ones and I'm good to go?

PS, I'm not only trying to anoy you, I'm also trying to get it right.

Posts: 1245 | From: miami, fl | Member Since: 01/02/06 | IP: (76.209.82.77) | Report this post to a Moderator

v8sareslo
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 431380 posted 01/18/07 12:04 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      

As I understand it, yes and no. The only difference the cam gears should make is where the timing marks will be. You can either use aftermarket gears or the stock EVO gears and have the correct timing marks. I'm guessing you could even use the old DSM/Galant gears if you wanted to make new timing marks on them in the correct place. There is no need to drill any holes anywhere. And yes, the EVO exhaust cam has the notch for the CAS so you would use it as the intake cam on our cars. Again this is what I've been told and has been confirmed by a few other people, but I haven't yet received my cams so I can't say 100% from experience.

This is exactly 100% correct there is no custom work involved, It is very simple but I will go over it one more time. Take the evo 8 cams and gears put the evo exhaust cam where the dsm intake cam is and take the evo intake and put it in the dsm exhaust spot, Bolt everything back up slide your cas back in, Line up your timing marks as you usually would. You can either use a set of fidenza cam gears that is doweled for both dsm and evo (use the evo dowel) or stock evo cam gears are fine as well. This is very simple, If you can change your own t-belt you can do this. I have a friend making 411 awhp on these cams that I personally installed in his dsm. Also contact me if you need cams and gears.

Edited by v8sareslo (01/18/07 12:15 AM)

| | | IP: (24.14.110.162) | Report this post to a Moderator

9t1tsi
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 431469 posted 01/18/07 08:19 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

As I understand it, yes and no. The only difference the cam gears should make is where the timing marks will be. You can either use aftermarket gears or the stock EVO gears and have the correct timing marks. I'm guessing you could even use the old DSM/Galant gears if you wanted to make new timing marks on them in the correct place. There is no need to drill any holes anywhere. And yes, the EVO exhaust cam has the notch for the CAS so you would use it as the intake cam on our cars. Again this is what I've been told and has been confirmed by a few other people, but I haven't yet received my cams so I can't say 100% from experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is exactly 100% correct there is no custom work involved, It is very simple but I will go over it one more time. Take the evo 8 cams and gears put the evo exhaust cam where the dsm intake cam is and take the evo intake and put it in the dsm exhaust spot, Bolt everything back up slide your cas back in, Line up your timing marks as you usually would. You can either use a set of fidenza cam gears that is doweled for both dsm and evo (use the evo dowel) or stock evo cam gears are fine as well. This is very simple, If you can change your own t-belt you can do this. I have a friend making 411 awhp on these cams that I personally installed in his dsm. Also contact me if you need cams and gears.

if you havent even done this yet, how are you going to tell ppl what needs to be done. what you should do is, get your cams install them in you vr4 then make a write up in the forum with pics how everything should be done and the end result you had. because those cams arent really going to make that much more power. honstly when you can buy a set of *used* evo cams for 150 (im guessing) why not buy cams made for your car that are *brand new* for 300 and their a 272/272 combo!!(shipped!) idk it doesnt make any since to me. and you will make more power than you ever would with the evo cams.

| | | IP: (205.157.244.43) | Report this post to a Moderator

Polish
Dr. Pilosh Haagenscodyberger

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 431481 posted 01/18/07 08:48 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Because not everyone wants huge cams. I personally would pay 100 at the most for a set of used Evo cams. I am sure I could find a set at that price too or cheaper.

Not everyone needs a FP 3065 and not everyone needs BIG cams. The stock Evo 260 cams are an improvement over stock and will benefit a normal 300-350hp 16g powered street car plenty.

My car site
Old GVR4 #1186/2000

Posts: 8936 | From: NE, IN | Member Since: 01/10/05 | IP: (69.245.199.104) | Report this post to a Moderator

DR1665
Kill him in the face with Wilson Phillips

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 431525 posted 01/18/07 10:31 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Ol Stink Horn speaks the truth. I've got a set of $400 Crowers on my Talon. They shake and lope and I love them, but if I could pick up a couple horses and flatten the powerband on my Galant with a $50 set of used cams from a Volkswagen, I'd scoop 'em up.

PMs have been sent to all my friends with Evos on other boards just in case. >:)

Brian | 98 Pajero | Gearbox Magazine

Edited by DR1665 (01/18/07 10:32 AM)

Posts: 4631 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Member Since: 10/19/05 | IP: (72.25.185.195) | Report this post to a Moderator

locolito2000
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 431550 posted 01/18/07 11:25 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      

Quote:

Quote:

(DSM Drew) As I understand it, yes and no. The only difference the cam gears should make is where the timing marks will be. You can either use aftermarket gears or the stock EVO gears and have the correct timing marks. I'm guessing you could even use the old DSM/Galant gears if you wanted to make new timing marks on them in the correct place. There is no need to drill any holes anywhere. And yes, the EVO exhaust cam has the notch for the CAS so you would use it as the intake cam on our cars. Again this is what I've been told and has been confirmed by a few other people, but I haven't yet received my cams so I can't say 100% from experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you havent even done this yet, how are you going to tell ppl what needs to be done. what you should do is, get your cams install them in you vr4 then make a write up in the forum with pics how everything should be done and the end result you had. because those cams arent really going to make that much more power. honstly when you can buy a set of *used* evo cams for 150 (im guessing) why not buy cams made for your car that are *brand new* for 300 and their a 272/272 combo!!(shipped!) idk it doesnt make any since to me. and you will make more power than you ever would with the evo cams.

If you look deeper he was responding to what Drew had written.

Edited by locolito2000 (01/18/07 11:26 AM)

| | | IP: (144.35.254.11) | Report this post to a Moderator

dsm_drew
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 431803 posted 01/18/07 09:47 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Actually I think I've changed my mind. I'm going to spend the extra money for big cams. And then dump a huge chunk of change on the biggest turbo I can find. And a sheetmetal intake, 1600cc injectors, VPC, ACT 3200 clutch, and anything else I can find that makes a shitload of top end power. Then I'm going to complain about the lumpy idle, turbo lag, and lack of drivability in my street driven, canyon carving car. But bigger is always better, right? Sorry if I'm being too realistic about my goals, budget, and actual purpose of my car.

atc250r Galant VR4.org Moderator
Senior Ricer
1552/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 431806 posted 01/18/07 09:52 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I think that those cams would be really good choice but I wouldn't fool around with putting the intake cam on the exhaust side or any of that nonsense. It'd be fairly cheap to have a machine shop cut a slice in the end of the intake cam so you can put them where they belong. You could probably to it yourself if you had access to a cut off wheel and were careful to cut in the center.

John

"...if they're so into masochism, they should just really go all out and start modifying Mitsubishis. And using them as daily drivers." - Mike R.

Posts: 13235 | From: Orange County, NY | Member Since: 09/11/03 | IP: (70.107.40.78) | Report this post to a Moderator

speedyvr4
536/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 432305 posted 01/19/07 10:41 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
If their identical duration and lift, why would you go thru the trouble of doing that? I agree with you guys, if I can pick up a set of evo cams for cheap from a buddy for a 16g powered DD, then why not do it. Can't wait for the write up.

OldHairyBastard
I take bottom on trannies
1/0000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 432398 posted 01/20/07 09:08 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Just go for it Myles.--- Car Bomb.

1990 G-GSX-RS Conversion-138M
1999 Toyota Camry 3.0L V6-210M
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L V8-125M
2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8-107M
2017 VW Passat 1.8L Turbo-45M
2019 Cevy Camaro SS 1LE-5M

Posts: 4500 | From: Lindenhurst, IL-Northern Chica... | Member Since: 04/27/05 | IP: (12.216.34.31) | Report this post to a Moderator

atc250r Galant VR4.org Moderator
Senior Ricer
1552/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 432432 posted 01/20/07 11:07 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

If their identical duration and lift, why would you go thru the trouble of doing that?

Identical duration and lift does not mean identical cams. Valve timing and possibly lob profiles are also factors in determining which cam goes where. I'm not say it will be a problem or even that you'd get more performance by doing what I said, but all cams with the same lift and duration are not necessarily the same.

John

"...if they're so into masochism, they should just really go all out and start modifying Mitsubishis. And using them as daily drivers." - Mike R.

Posts: 13235 | From: Orange County, NY | Member Since: 09/11/03 | IP: (70.107.40.78) | Report this post to a Moderator

Rausch Galant VR4.org Moderator
Rock Star Status

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 432593 posted 01/20/07 09:44 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
i'm sure the ramp angles are not the same. but i would wager a guess to say that they are similar enough to not have a dramatic effect. if the angles were too steep, the valve springs would not ber able to keep up at higher RPM's, not to mentions the valves themselves. this is a street car, and the profile is not too aggressive, so i figure you should be good to go. just don't buy EVO 280's and try to make those work!!

Rance lives here...
Founder of Sold out to BMW Cru, then sold out there too.

Posts: 12049 | From: Cleveland, OH | Member Since: 12/21/04 | IP: (68.109.207.53) | Report this post to a Moderator

ln2johnny
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 433162 posted 01/22/07 12:23 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

Quote:

If their identical duration and lift, why would you go thru the trouble of doing that?

Identical duration and lift does not mean identical cams. Valve timing and possibly lob profiles are also factors in determining which cam goes where. I'm not say it will be a problem or even that you'd get more performance by doing what I said, but all cams with the same lift and duration are not necessarily the same.

John

While this may be true, if it's been done already, and it's been proven to work, then it's pointless to even worry about it. The cams don't really care which valves they're opening, and if it works by switching them, so be it. Drilling this or dowling that is just extra money spent on a mod that works as is and is intended as a useful low-buck improvement over the stock offering.

Just my two pennies worth.

| | | IP: (151.151.21.100) | Report this post to a Moderator

BKatter
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 433325 posted 01/22/07 05:31 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

Because not everyone wants huge cams. I personally would pay 100 at the most for a set of used Evo cams. I am sure I could find a set at that price too or cheaper.

Not everyone needs a FP 3065 and not everyone needs BIG cams. The stock Evo 260 cams are an improvement over stock and will benefit a normal 300-350hp 16g powered street car plenty.

Also, to add to what you said, not only to do you get a slightly more aggresive cam, the Evo cams are hollow and lighter. A friend of mine picked some up for $35 on ebay. He also got the cam gears for something like $30 too.

| | | IP: (71.35.243.69) | Report this post to a Moderator

Myles
Douchebagel with Lox

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 433867 posted 01/23/07 06:31 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Just picked up a pair of cam gears from Mark at AMS and my evo 8 cams are on the way. Hopefully they among other things will be taken care of around spring.

1929/2000 *SOLD*

Posts: 5264 | From: Skokie, IL | Member Since: 08/08/06 | IP: (24.136.7.27) | Report this post to a Moderator

bujang_hensem
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 433917 posted 01/23/07 08:57 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
ok...everybody talking about evo 8 cam..but in malaysia it hard to get those cam cheap...but easy to get evo 4 to 7 cam ...are the cam duration same as evo 8? anybody can share the info...my buddy can get a set of cam from evo 4...but dunno if it is worth it like evo 8 or not.

| | | IP: (203.82.67.196) | Report this post to a Moderator

mr.mitsu
Member +++

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 435611 posted 01/26/07 09:36 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
so is there an actuall "yes, they work" or "NO, don't try it"???

i'm strongly considering this mod

Posts: 798 | From: canada | Member Since: 04/28/03 | IP: (74.96.196.252) | Report this post to a Moderator

dsm_drew
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 435615 posted 01/26/07 09:46 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Yes they'll fit the head and they'll work, the big question is will they do what you want them to do?

mr.mitsu
Member +++

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 435703 posted 01/27/07 09:33 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
or better yet...

are they a better "bang for your buck" mod???

Posts: 798 | From: canada | Member Since: 04/28/03 | IP: (74.96.196.252) | Report this post to a Moderator

ln2johnny
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 435726 posted 01/27/07 10:58 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
It's a bit bigger cam than the factory bits, and for someone looking for a cam that will get the most out of a bigger turbo like the 16G, bigger exhaust, TB, etc., and still want to keep the car somewhat civilized for daily driving, then yeah, they'll work really well.

When I ahd my Talon I didn't have this option. Frankly, I wish I had. The cams I used were great for the track, but sucked on the street. These would ahve been perfect.

| | | IP: (151.151.21.100) | Report this post to a Moderator

stealthtt24
Holy deer monkey donkey balls looking for a pole

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 435761 posted 01/27/07 01:17 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
what cams were those??

Posts: 2746 | From: Orlando, FL | Member Since: 05/25/05 | IP: (67.8.208.85) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  Hertz, curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 18147

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.114 seconds in which 0.051 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page