The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hood pin question

number3

I was asked this today and it really isn't a bad question so I thougth I would post it for those who don't know why hood pins are used.

Quote:

I got a CF hood coming and I dont know whether or not I need pins because I dont know what they really are for.

They "pin" or hold down the hood to the body of the car. They are used when the stock hood latch is either removed or not trusted to hold the hood in place.

With fiberglass or carbon fiber hoods the OEM hood attachment point on the composite hood may not be strong enough (not trustworthy) to keep the hood from blowing back in to the windshield, destroying both.

JNR

Just make sure to check they're in before you drive away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have some on my Chevelle (fiberglass hood, using hinges/springs) and some clowns thought it would be funny to pull my pins...I didn't think to look at them before leaving and as a reault, when I went to take off, my hood came up, then pulled off from the hinges and flew behind me, almost hitting a bicyclist and getting run over! I was able to rebuild most of it, but it's not the same...

I think if I had lanyard cables, I *may* have noticed, but who knows...Unfortunately, the locking type of hood pins are not designed to be the only hold downs...I guess you could put small padlocks, or something else...but, keep this in mind, for sure if it's the only thing holding your hood on!

Quote:

With fiberglass or carbon fiber hoods the OEM hood attachment point on the composite hood may not be strong enough (not trustworthy) to keep the hood from blowing back in to the windshield, destroying both.

I noticed with my CF hood, that when traveling over 60 MPH the front of my hood would rase up alittle.
so I bought some Sparco hood pins.

I was so slow to install them and one day I took my car out around the block for a test drive after a clutch install (I did'ent check that the hood was closed properly) and at 20 MPH my hood slowly rased up and opened and then smacked my windshield (not very hard though)

no damage was done BUT it spooked me enough to motivate me to install the hood pins that day.

If any thing, the hood pins act as a reminder to make sure the hoods closed.

Terry Posten

I too, have lost a hood due to "party shananagns". They left the 4th pin in place (drivers side rear) and it folded up on that pin. I got lucky that it did not take out my windshield or roof. Just ruined a really cool gold on black Trans Am (1979) shaker hood with the 'Smokey and the Bandit' thunder chicken on it.

I cried (being drunk does that to a man after his car has been violated) then got really mad....

Hood pins are a great way of securing the hood but ALWAYS check them before driving away.

so if you have hood pins the latch mechanism can be competely eliminated because the pins are more then sufficient to keep the lid on???

Last edited by a moderator:

Polish

It doesn't hurt to have both but if you wanted to remove it you could.

Hertz

Staff member
Quote:
I too, have lost a hood due to "party shananagns".

That must be why you don't drink anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14u2nV

Just make sure they are real hood pins, and not stick on APC pieces. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NOTHING apc is on my car,i wouldn't put an apc air freshener in my car hahahah.....i've seen links to the machV ones, are those the suggested set to use??

Last edited by a moderator:

cheekychimp

I found these bonnet ... sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif "hood" pins on Demon Tweeks' site

The description is as follows:-

Quote:
The Aerocatch is a new design of bonnet pin, available in locking or non-locking versions. There are two types available; Plus Flush and Flush. The Plus Flush has a 2.5mm thick flange that mounts on top of the panel, the Flush mounts from underneath leaving the panel completely flat on the surface. Made from glass filled nylon and stainless steel, the standard finish is black, but they can be easily painted to match bodywork. Strike pin can be used through the base or side, making them suitable for bonnets or boots. SVA compliant. 126mmx69mm.

According to my snail mail catalogue they do make a locking flush version in the black. Seems to be a pretty nice kit for a carbon fibre hood.

Quote:
so if you have hood pins the latch mechanism can be competely eliminated because the pins are more then sufficient to keep the lid on???

yes you could but, that would make it that much easier for people to get into your engine bay and steal stuff.

number3

Those Aerocatch pins seem pretty slick but then again $52.77 US (29.95 GBP) for the non locking version and $59.11 US( 33.55GBP) for the locking is pretty steep.

Although the Top Secret version is a bit more; $182.00 with locks $162 without locks. Aerocatch lists TopSecret as one of their US vendors.

SPA Technique is another company listed as a us vendor, I might have to give them a call on those, they aren't too far out of the daily comute.

Quote:
I found these bonnet ... sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif "hood" pins on Demon Tweeks' site

The description is as follows:-

Quote:
The Aerocatch is a new design of bonnet pin, available in locking or non-locking versions. There are two types available; Plus Flush and Flush. The Plus Flush has a 2.5mm thick flange that mounts on top of the panel, the Flush mounts from underneath leaving the panel completely flat on the surface. Made from glass filled nylon and stainless steel, the standard finish is black, but they can be easily painted to match bodywork. Strike pin can be used through the base or side, making them suitable for bonnets or boots. SVA compliant. 126mmx69mm.

According to my snail mail catalogue they do make a locking flush version in the black. Seems to be a pretty nice kit for a carbon fibre hood.

These are great pieces, we use them on our Audi World Challenge Race Cars, We get them from Coast Fabrication here in Ca. the fit, finish and quality is far superior to anything else on the market.

cheekychimp

Yeah I was thinking about that. I doubt you could install the flush version yourself, as it would require the hole to be perfect, not something cut out with a dremel. It seems as though the Plush Flush would be the better option for a home install.

I also can't really see how the flush version (in my catalogue) mounted from underneath can attach to the hood securely since it looks from the pictures as if it is actually secured to the hood on it's underside. That would make the whole thing as strong as the screws holding it to the carbon fibre ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

MitsuDriver274

hmmm, i wonder if you could throw your hood onto a water jet machine, and have the holes cut out...

JNR

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking about that. I doubt you could install the flush version yourself, as it would require the hole to be perfect, not something cut out with a dremel. It seems as though the Plush Flush would be the better option for a home install.

I also can't really see how the flush version (in my catalogue) mounted from underneath can attach to the hood securely since it looks from the pictures as if it is actually secured to the hood on it's underside. That would make the whole thing as strong as the screws holding it to the carbon fibre ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I think if you used some good flathead machine screws with washers on the underside and nuts, it would hold alright; provided you have the adjustment against that 'box', of course...

Some neat ideas those pins are...may look into something like that (custom) for the Chevelle and if the day came where I went CF on the Galant...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts