GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Newbies » Inner CV boot
Previous thread Next thread

Inner CV boot

gvr4_power
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 265761 posted 10/10/05 04:54 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
So, I got my cv boots changed by the dealer two months ago. For some reason they did not change the inners as I requested. The passenger inner is now torn and I am 300 miles away from the dealer that did the work. I called them and they basicly said "screw you".

Since there is no quick boot for the inners, I can't do the work myself. With a Michigan winter coming the boot needs to be changed. So do I just take it up the a** and get the work done AGAIN, or is there a Mitsu hate line I can call?

Sorry, needed to vent/get ideas at the same time.

| | | IP: (68.41.26.245) | Report this post to a Moderator

ken inn
BJ Titsengolf lifer

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 265765 posted 10/10/05 05:06 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
just change out the whole axle. changing the cv boots is really messy, and by the time they tear, the cv joint is probably worn out, too. reman axles are cheap, and way easier to change.

A Veteran is some one who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to the government for any amount up to and including my life.

Remember Freedom is not Free!

Posts: 7529 | From: krum texas | Member Since: 02/23/01 | IP: (65.41.240.41) | Report this post to a Moderator

Spoolin
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 265766 posted 10/10/05 05:15 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
amen Ken, just replaced both my fronts cost me 150 bucks plus cores.

| | | IP: (68.118.242.34) | Report this post to a Moderator

atc250r Galant VR4.org Moderator
Senior Ricer
1552/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 265768 posted 10/10/05 05:20 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Get some from www.raxles.com and you won't be disappointed. They aren't as cheap as the POS ones that Autozone or Pep Boys sell but they are 100 times better quality.

John

"...if they're so into masochism, they should just really go all out and start modifying Mitsubishis. And using them as daily drivers." - Mike R.

Posts: 13235 | From: Orange County, NY | Member Since: 09/11/03 | IP: (68.193.222.254) | Report this post to a Moderator

gvr4_power
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 265782 posted 10/10/05 06:06 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
So, is changing the whole axle easier than I thought? Keep in mind all I have up here is a socket set and some screwdrivers.

| | | IP: (68.41.26.245) | Report this post to a Moderator

Spoolin
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 265799 posted 10/10/05 06:42 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I do it without even taking my struts off of the steering knuckles. Unbolt the strut mounts from the chassis. Remove the 32mm axle nut and cotter pin. Free up the axle with a block of wood and a large persuader. Push the whole strut assembly down and out of the fender well pulling it to the outside of the fender (be careful not to scratch the fender paint). Also not that you must have both strut mounts unbolted for this to work due to the stabilizer bar. Then unbolt the carrier bearing on the driver side intermediate axle(12mm). Next, most books say to wedge a screwdriver in to get the passenger side axle out. I have never had luck with this so i put a flat head screwdriver in and knock the passenger side axle out with a small hammer. Thats about it. And as far as removing the intermediate shaft from the driver side axle. Put the intermediate shaft in a vice and strike the inner axle cup with a hammer to remove it. Make sure to clean the splines and grease them lightly as to insure the new axle slides on easily(you will need to hammer the new one into the axle cup.

ken inn
BJ Titsengolf lifer

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 265839 posted 10/10/05 08:39 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
to remove the intermediate shaft, you dont need a vise. if you can get a prybar on it while it is on the car, you can snap it loose. if not, and you have the whole assemble removed, just hold it by the jackshaft, with the axle towards the ground, and whack the joint with a hammer. couple of good whacks, and it will pop out, and WATCH FOR TOES!!!!

A Veteran is some one who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to the government for any amount up to and including my life.

Remember Freedom is not Free!

Posts: 7529 | From: krum texas | Member Since: 02/23/01 | IP: (65.41.240.41) | Report this post to a Moderator

Spoolin
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 265841 posted 10/10/05 08:47 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
yeah you can do that too.

gvr4_power
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 265894 posted 10/11/05 05:26 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
Ok, maybe I'll give this a try. Thanks for the help.

| | | IP: (209.69.38.4) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  Hertz, curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3840

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.185 seconds in which 0.165 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page