The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front knuckle drill to 14mm

tektic

Is it a bad idea to drill knuckles to 14mm for an evo Mr strut swap? It seems like the easier way especially when using a camber bolt. Then a couple hardened washer to fill the gap.

raptorWagon

It's not really ideal, because you start messing with something that can't ever be returned back to stock once you go as far as reaming those holes out. If you screw up reaming the holes (if there is enough meat available), you might have a difficult time trying to get the caster or camber aligned properly, or at the very least now have a junk knuckle and have to spend the time sourcing a new one.

You're choice, but I really wouldn't touch the knuckle in that regard.

tektic

Is there an issue of not having enough meat? I haven't looked at it in a while. The OEM head dowel pins are 14 mm od 12mm Id. That could be used to get it back to stock in a jiffy. I considered using them the other way for the 12 mm bold and uncut knuckle.

transparentdsm

I actually did this when I did the Bilstein swap in my old vr4, when I swapped to coil overs I put different knuckles in the car, but with the mr struts, proper spacers, OEM Evo knuckle lower bolt and upper eibach camber bolt I was able to get it aligned and cambered properly. When I drilled out the knuckles I used a drill press, centered the knuckle hole using the 12mm bit, then once centered I put in the 14mm and pressed the bit through. I took my time and made sure I got everything in line before I started to actually drill.

1941Galant

I did this to my car years ago, and just recently swapped to unmodified 5 lug hubs. I wasn't confident that the drilled out knuckles would be able to take a hard hit (pot hole, bump, etc...). I'm going to run my evo suspension with 12mm bolts and spacers for the time being, once I get the bugs ironed out of the car, it's getting coilovers.

If you want my drilled out hubs, pay for shipping and they're yours. You'll need new bearings, and the big circlip that holds the bearings in.

Last edited:

tektic

Quoting transparentdsm:
I actually did this when I did the Bilstein swap in my old vr4.

Would you advise against it as well?

I don't want to buy all new bearings, but if you have them out would you mind posting a picture to who how much material there is to refresh my memory?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts