The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Where to buy longer bolts for the Evo suspension?

GVR4ZUM

I have the Evo suspension and using the stock bolts on the front. I'm worried that they may loosen up since they are not long enough. Should I be? I know that some just use the ones from Evo, but I don't really want to drill and be stuck just using Evo suspension. So basically I need the original diameter bolts just longer. Also I want to make sure the bolt I get is a shoulder style like the original.

Thanks in advance.

I usually go to my local fastener shop, or a farm and tractor supply store for specialty bolts. Not sure what stores or resources you have available in your home town. I can usually take a bolt, tell them what I need length and size wise, and they match it up. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

belize1334

Even ACE hardware will carry m12 grade 8.8 bolts. Just take one in there and tell them you want the strongest bolt they have (stainless ideally so it won't rust in place) with the same thread pitch but a little longer. It shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the necessity, how many threads stick out past the end of the nut at this point? As long as the bolt comes past the end of the nut it shouldn't matter at all. If it loosens at all, you'll notice your camber get messed up and your wheel will start clunking long before the nut backs all the way off.

Last edited:

GVR4_1057

This place has anything and everything. I buy tons of really oddball cool fasteners from here ,or whatever else.

McMaster

GVR4ZUM

Thank you very much for responding guys.
I'll check them out.

89Mirageman

Quoting belize1334:
Even ACE hardware will carry m12 grade 8.8 bolts. Just take one in there and tell them you want the strongest bolt they have (stainless ideally so it won't rust in place) with the same thread pitch but a little longer. It shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the necessity, how many threads stick out past the end of the nut at this point? As long as the bolt comes past the end of the nut it shouldn't matter at all. If it loosens at all, you'll notice your camber get messed up and your wheel will start clunking long before the nut backs all the way off.

8.8 in metric is the same as a grade 5 standard bolt, I would want a 10.9 or better on suspension parts. Also I would not trust a stainless steel bolt either, you need something hardened like the oem fasteners. You do not want one of these bolts to shear when you're doing 75+ on the interstate.

belize1334

^^ woops... you're right. I should really refrain from posting before I've had my Coffee.

Ixnay on the 8.8 SS. Get 10.9 hardened steel.

curtis

If you want to do it correctly drill out the spindle for the larger bolts to be the same size as the evo stuff then get the correct length. I can't remember what it is exactly 80 or 85 mm length sound right but not positive. And I think the Bolts are 14 or 16mm. I think I've drilled the spindles to 9/16 and the holes have to be clearanced just a tad with a cartridge roll. If you find them at a farm supply they'll probably be by weight and cheaper but for the 4 bolts nuts washers and lock washers should set you back about 20 bucks for the 10.9 grade stuff.

belize1334

^^ If you're doing that, don't just drill it out ... put it on a mill so that you can offset the holes. That way you can give yourself a free -1.5* camber.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned