GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Newbies » Re: Your Bad VR4 Story?
Previous thread Next thread

Re: Your Bad VR4 Story?

DR1665
Kill him in the face with Wilson Phillips

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1116612 posted 04/03/13 02:54 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quoting boostedinaz:

Quoting James:

Mr. foster needs to post his story in here

The story of #3 will be posted someday.

If only we knew someone with a magazine.

3/1000 is already 1000% improved. Wouldn't be surprised if it appraises for US$35k in the next year or so.

Brian | 98 Pajero | Gearbox Magazine

Posts: 4631 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Member Since: 10/19/05 | IP: (216.203.6.11) | Report this post to a Moderator

DavsR
1303/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1116918 posted 04/05/13 02:23 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I bought 1303/2000 for 1400 bucks with a nasty knock in the engine that sounded like it was coming from the head or the Oil pump. This was my first VR4 and my first DSM all at the same time. I replaced the oil pump first and removed the balance shafts thinking it was a bad bearing the balance shaft set up. While i was in there i didn't notice any sloppy rods or metal shavings so I put it all back together and fired it up. No change to nasty knock/tick. I replaced lifters twice with out the handy tool that doesnt require you to take the timing components off, so basically performed three timeing belt jobs if you count the oil pump replacement. well on the second set of lifters I managed to remove the knock/tick. HAPPY DAYS. So i decided to upgrade turbo, firt run on the new turbo I blew MAD CLOUDS OF SMOKE EVERY WHERE. Made the Nube mistake of upping the boost with out supporting mods. When i opend the hood it looked like an explosion of 10W40 had gone off in my engine bay, i was leaking oil from the timing belt cover and out of the every seal on the engine. Ended up cracking the ring lands on piston number three. I ended up rebuilding the entire engine my self, buying the oh so critical supporting mods (injectors, intercooler, downpipe, exhaust, ECU, ect) and now I'm 5K miles into the new build and running like a champ.... Untill those unexpected master cylinder failer, slave cylinder fail, throttle body seal fail, transfer case seized up on me, tranny spun somekind of bearing, coil pack failed, alternator failed, inner outer tie rods, lower control arm bushings, ICM failed, ect, ect, ect.... BUT.... I LOVE 1303/2000!!!

1303/2000 Moving on up in the DSM World!

Posts: 83 | From: Sacramento CA | Member Since: 08/25/11 | IP: (76.114.2.40) | Report this post to a Moderator

IncorpoRatedX
I'm an idiot...
501/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1116970 posted 04/05/13 01:40 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quoting rexwagon1909:

Read my build thread lol. Got ripped off and a completely toasted motor with about a tablespoon of bearing material in the bottom of oil pan.

You should stop claiming you were ripped off... or;

If you seriously think I intentionally sold you a car with a bum engine, start a bad guy thread about me and we'll take it there.

I drove that fucking car an hour away to meet up with you, why in the hell would I do this if the engine was toasted?

Further, did you not check the oil while inspecting the car? Serious question, i honestly dont remember. We were at a fucking walmart; for all I cared you could have drained the oil in a pan, refilled it with oil, from walmart, before ever purchasing it. I went above and beyond to help you sort out getting that car properly loaded up, i was so concerned about the car I had enjoyed so much, that I unloaded the car and reloaded it backwards to better distribute the weight on the trailer, because I was concerned something might happen to it!

Long story short, you either ragged that poor car out in the 100 miles you wound up driving it, OR the engine was in fact on its way out, unbeknownst to both of us and just your luck, it died when you got it home. Either of the case would result in you not being ripped off...

I've explained to you 100 times that I had a spare engine in my garage and I would have swapped that thing in if I thought for one fucking second that the car I was selling had any issue with the bottom end.

Either drop it and move on, or take this to a bad guy post, but rest assured, I'll continue to add my input if you continue to troll this board.

-Joshua Adventure Driven Design
1991 Galant VR-4
1999 Montero "Goldi-Locker"

Posts: 5593 | From: Arizona | Member Since: 05/28/03 | IP: (24.11.254.179) | Report this post to a Moderator

JamesFoster
Infamous BMX Master
666/666

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1117983 posted 04/12/13 07:38 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Damn dude... I feel bad for not selling you #852/2k after reading what you went through on this one... Sorry man.

Quoting Steve001:

I have a great one..you'll love this ... I bought 885 from a person on here.. I got tons of vids and pics the car itself was in great condition and seemed to be sound( I really should of went out and looked at it ) I also did a lot of research on the on the guy that sold it to the guy I bought it from who is on here as we'll.. Any way had it shipped it arrived.. Well right off the truck something seemed wrong.. Every time you push the brake I hear a loud screeching grinding sound ..weird .
I remember someone mentioning the rear brake sticks every once in awhile, well after taking of the rear wheels I find there's no inner pads just using the caliper piston as a brake shoes GREAT ..so I bought 2 new rear calipers,rotors, shoes, installed them and now I can drive.
So I drive the car in my neighborhood a couple times.. Sometimes dies at stop signs..has crazy lag and after a couple days starts a idle surge.
I went through the car cleand everything tightend and retightend.. And cleaned some more..I even coned keydiver to burn me a new chip. Thank u (MONEY TALKS).
Ok I think I got it under control..time to drive to the DMV and to work 20 miles round trip.. I go to the DMV then to work...no problems then on my may home I loose control of the RPM I don't know what to think and the car stars running time a pile of shit..I pull over to inspect don't see any weirdness I restart still shitty..I drive it home. Next morn check the timing belt. WOW what's this so loose I can lift it off the gears..I'm not a mechanic so I had it towed to a shop
It's been ther for six weeks..turns out every single bolt was hand tight or almost.. The timing tensioner almost fell off when he took off the cover.. nothig was clearenced so i had a oil pan full of squiters..the fly wheel was loose..ok so we got it back together. Did a compression check was getting 175 150 150 175. Did a leak down was loosing 30 % in the two middle cyclinders.. I had them jerk the head and strange no bent valves.. I took the the head to the machine shop they said all the stems were bent and the head was milled 20mm under spec so there was nothing they could do.
I found this nice guy at SIM in Michigan that had a old stock 1g brand new head that he would sell me for a reasonable price and he is doing a stage 2 valve package..SS valves ,duel springs, 3 grifters.5 angle seats..
I really hope this is the end......I JUST WANT TO DRIVE THE F%^#en thing. I'm pretty sure this car is going to break the bank or the marriage...lol will se what comes first

Does not exist and that is all that ever will be.

Posts: 583 | From: ALL | Member Since: 10/14/08 | IP: (165.228.203.166) | Report this post to a Moderator

Steve885
885/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1118132 posted 04/13/13 02:25 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
To top it off, dude at STRICTLY IMPORT MOTORSPORT must not know his shit sent me a scratched up head that I had to have redecked and he swore it was for a six bolt motor, nope it's a 1 g 7 bolt head that I had to modify to fit 6 bolt head studs( of corse my mechanic at WORKS Motorsports who are compared to ROAD RACE of Northern California doesn't know how to do the mods) and he still hasn't refunded me ( ill be starting a bad guy thread later) I'm really starting to feel you can't trust any mechanic or business related to MITSUBISHI ,DSM and GVR4..

Posts: 228 | From: Concord ca | Member Since: 12/07/12 | IP: (76.103.219.37) | Report this post to a Moderator

matt92vr4
Member ++
474/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1118247 posted 04/14/13 09:30 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I came to that same conclusion on 1996.

474/1000 Summit White
1993 Stealth RT/TT
1995 Montero SR
1998 Montero

Posts: 676 | From: Venice, FL | Member Since: 10/03/10 | IP: (68.56.153.38) | Report this post to a Moderator

BpuVR4
Rolled by Accord while sauced

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1118271 posted 04/14/13 04:37 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quoting Steve001:

To top it off, dude at STRICTLY IMPORT MOTORSPORT must not know his shit sent me a scratched up head that I had to have redecked and he swore it was for a six bolt motor, nope it's a 1 g 7 bolt head that I had to modify to fit 6 bolt head studs( of corse my mechanic at WORKS Motorsports who are compared to ROAD RACE of Northern California doesn't know how to do the mods) and he still hasn't refunded me ( ill be starting a bad guy thread later) I'm really starting to feel you can't trust any mechanic or business related to MITSUBISHI ,DSM and GVR4..

yea as I've gotten older I realize finding good help is harder and harder...at least in the new age of internet it's much easier to get help/answers.

06 V70 2.5T
formerly: 372/2k, 555/2k, 957/1k

Posts: 806 | From: Chicago | Member Since: 07/11/05 | IP: (98.193.26.143) | Report this post to a Moderator

JCorbo25
Member ++
912/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1118363 posted 04/15/13 11:31 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quoting Steve001:

I tried to warn you about Works Motorsports. Many Evo guys have had issues with that shop and I personally saw some of the 'work' they put into a Galant VR4...

In the Bay Area, check out FFTEC Motorsports. I have been hearing things about 'Teddspec' lately and people are swearing by his work, but I dunno.

Current:
11 Ralliart Sportback
05 Acura MDX Touring

Former: 90/91/98 Talon TSi AWD; Evo VIII; Evo IX; MS3; 92 Galant VR4 912/1000

Posts: 533 | From: Sacramento, CA | Member Since: 10/10/11 | IP: (173.85.198.125) | Report this post to a Moderator

Steve885
885/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1118391 posted 04/15/13 02:13 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
You were so right about WORKS if just a oil change,or get your tire pressure checked fine, something major be prepared to wait a long LONG time time....LONG time, with no update call at all.....

Posts: 228 | From: Concord ca | Member Since: 12/07/12 | IP: (70.211.78.107) | Report this post to a Moderator

Epifool
1848/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1119968 posted 04/25/13 03:57 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
Discovering that the gaskets in my engine are reused and slathered with grey rtv... this is gonna be a mess to clean/fix. But it euns!!

she aint too pretty, but at least she cost too much!

Posts: 135 | From: greencastle, In | Member Since: 02/06/13 | IP: (166.216.130.92) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  Hertz, curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 11758

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.1 seconds in which 0.056 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page