The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo lowering spring with evo suspension

Whoodoo

I know Garfield is very happy with his Espelir ASD's, but I don't understand how he get the ride height so perfect. According to the evolutionm.net spring rate thread states these give an evo a .79f/.79r drop.

Here's what I don't understand. My uncut stock evo 8 rear springs lower the car over stock GVR4. The stock evo 8 springs raise the front. Wouldn't putting these springs on give the same effect: the rear would sit much lower than the fronts, right?

Isn't there 1.5" worth of adjustment in the rear struts depending on where you weld the lower mount?

OMFGeofffff

I've heard that non modified lowering springs will still lower the car but stock springs will raise it?

I don't know how it works, but it does. I'm using Evo Swift lowering springs. They sit perfect without cutting them.

Click me Here's a thread with before and after pics. The before pics are with stock Evo springs. The front had around 1 coil cut off and the rears were uncut. The after pics are with completely uncut Evo lowering springs. Scroll down for the after pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

gtluke

I had to cut a coil out of my front espilars

mitsuturbo

1g eibach prokit front springs
1g dsm rear springs

win (at least for me)

If i had a pic of 1411 sitting on level ground, i'd upload it, but i don't think i do.. and it's JSB at the moment.

turbofonz

Evo Tein S techs, unmodified my car sits perfect.

Stock, EVOs actually usually sit a little bit higher in the front then the rear. horrible ride height stock. I assume most aftermarket springs even it out more, or give the car more of a raked look.

Last edited:

4thStroke

I have Evo struts and RobiSpec springs on mine. The rear sits really nice for my liking, its not stuffed at all. The front however, only came down a small amount. I need to cut a coil.

broxma

Quoting turbofonz:
Evo Tein S techs, unmodified my car sits perfect.

Stock, EVOs actually usually sit a little bit higher in the front then the rear. horrible ride height stock. I assume most aftermarket springs even it out more, or give the car more of a raked look.

I got a set of Hotchkis Springs for my Evo 8 and after installing, it dropped front and back equally. Essentially it had the same odd angle with the large gap in the front. I put the stock springs on the rear and now it looks proper.

On the Galant, I have a set of Sprint Evo drop springs, but again, only on the front. The rears are stock Galant springs with 1/2 a coil cut. I haven't tried the Sprint rear springs on the Galant due to the mismatch of the winding and how it sits on the strut. I know there is a solution for this but I haven't bothered.

/brox

Whoodoo

So wtf Garfield? You holding out on us for the secret of your super awesome stance? I PM'ed him a while back and he claims Espelir ASD's don't need to be cut at all. But how does this happen...

Here's my car. Evo 8 rear strut and spring (uncut as far as I could see) and stock GVR4 front strut and spring (uncut).

And here is Garfield's car with espelir ASD springs all uncut.
113736-0-0-0.jpg

I don't get it... Maybe everyone's car is different. Height differences in the rear can come from how you modify the rear strut. I made sure to shove mine up as much as possible. I even ground off a chamfer around the top edges to sink it up a little further. I don't think that gave me that much drop though.

4thStroke

Here is my theory.

There are Evo springs out there that are actually well engineered, RobiSpec, Swift ,and GTWorks. These springs do not focus on lowering the car, but the improved stance is a product of the their main focus, to get the car to handle better.

There are Evo springs that focus on appearance rather than function. The 3 springs mentioned above namely the RobiSpecs (only because those are the only of the 3 that I have had experience with on an Evo) do not necessarily even the ride height. My friends Evo still drove a little high in the front. The thing is, the Evos have a larger well to accommodate the wheel travel up front, giving you the impression that they right high up front. If you were to measure along the bottom of the car, front to back, I bet it's not as "nose high" as many think. When you dump the Evo front end to appear level or even with the rear, you've messed with the geometry the point in which you are not allowing the suspension to work at it full potential (for a mostly stock setup). The springs that focus on a good looking drop for the Evo are probably best suited for the Galant, given the way stock and some other springs drop the Galant (the 3 mentioned above).

In the end, they all work better than what we have. If you can get a good deal on S-techs or whatever else dumps an Evo, go for it. I will end up cutting a coil on my RobieSpecs which may have an adverse affect on how the spring is supposed to behave. I'm not too concerned since the springs are better than my alternative (chopping stock Evo springs).

Last edited:

Whoodoo

no, that is stock GVR4 front suspension. I had tried to put evo X front struts/springs on, but they wouldn't go low enough.

Here's what I did with my car. Keep in mind while this works for me it might not for someone else. A perfect example is gtluke. He's running Evo Bilstein struts with Espelir ASD springs. He cut the front springs to get him the look he wanted. I'm currently running Evo Bilstein front struts & Evo stock KYBs in the rear with Evo Espelir ASD uncut springs. I would like to get the fronts a little lower & if I switch to the Evo stock KYB front struts I think I will be completely satisfied. This is what I had before & it gave me this stance which I was extremely pleased with Link to old members ride picture with 18" wheels

I'd stay away from Tein S-Tech cause they've been known to blow struts. The focus on those springs was simply look over function. I do believe the Swift springs will give you the ultimate look & hadnling characteristics. Right now the Espelir ASD gives me that mature look I'm after & still provide a smooth comfortable ride. People that ride in my car can't believe I have upgraded suspension. It's very subtle & can hug corners when called upon. 4WS is still intact with the 3 bolt rear end.

As for the rear, I took out the upper rubber seat. Everything else is bolt-on according to the 'how-to' with the gvr4 front strut upper hat. The next key thing is nothing was removed from under the hood. I still have a/c, abs, cruise, charcoal canister, power steering, battery..... The only weight reduction up front is the jdm bumper.

I guess so. The Swifts are my third set of springs. I tried two sets of stock Evo springs cut to different lengths before I decided to try some lowering springs. The guys at Evom gave the Swift springs great reviews, so I tried them and they work well for me.

Quoting Whoodoo:
So is the general consensus 'do what works for you'?

Yep. Suspension is very suggestive. If I were to change springs, I'd go with Swift.

Last edited by a moderator:

gtluke

I'm an idiot, I cut my rear springs not my front ones.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned