GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » General VR4 Discussions » Re: How rare do you guys think GVR4s are?
Previous thread Next thread

Re: How rare do you guys think GVR4s are?

SmoothCustomer
Public school educated knowitall

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 875298 posted 02/17/10 11:34 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
You guys are lucky I'm late to the party and it's late in the evening. I had a great idea to figure out how many were left (ok, it wasn't actually MY idea but I made it kind of realistic...maybe?) and Hertz really tried, but it ain't gonna happen. I will still debate the fact that it makes sense to find out how many definitely don't exist.

Posts: 3319 | From: Lexington, KY | Member Since: 07/06/08 | IP: (128.205.225.59) | Report this post to a Moderator

H05TYL
Hover/Stand/Bend

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 875308 posted 02/18/10 12:05 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
haha, good point RedTwo, I own 0010362 and 0020096 - might have to put that in my sig :P

JDM E39A - 0010362 VR-4 Project 燃えないゴミ(Unburnable Junk) - stolen
JDM E39A - 0020096 VR-4 Daily - sold

Posts: 752 | From: Wgtn, NZ | Member Since: 06/09/07 | IP: (121.73.146.65) | Report this post to a Moderator

GIjoe
lol, Im an idiot
1562/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 875376 posted 02/18/10 10:32 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quoting fuel:

Quoting GIjoe:

^umm, thats cool, but they arent limited and numbered. I personally thing JDM VR4s are much better than the usdm ones, BUT they arent numbered, they wont be that special in the future. Sure some nice, perfect condition VR4 RS or monte carlos or even regular full option JDM VR4s will be worth something, but the fact that the usdm VR4s are numbered, and the only official left hand drive with special options like lether etc, will be the ones to hold value amongst car collectors in the futur.

Each to their own.. I would far prefer a Evolution, Monte Carlo or RS JDM VR-4 over an Aus spec or US spec VR-4 - the number means nothing to me, why sacrifice most of the good things in a VR-4 for a number?

Go find a factory original US VR-4 with 510cc injectors, bigger intercooler (bigger than standard JDM type), larger intercooler piping, 4 bolt LSD rear end, higher flowing rear muffler, rear wiper, monsoon shields, dash pop up box, digital climate control air conditioning, close ratio gearbox etc etc list goes on.. that a FACTORY JDM Evolution VR-4 has.

"I personally think JDM VR4s are much better than the usdm ones"
I agree with you man. to me the ultimate vr4 is the jdm one (almost bought one in london 2 yrs ago!!!) but now that I have a usdm vr4, Ive learned to appreciate its history, and the fact that its numbered + thats its sort of a dsm ( i know its not, but still) and all these details. These are the things that will matter a lot for car collectors in 15yrs.
Now, rallye nuts will definetly go for a JDM VR4 (and so will I, cuz there are simply the best).

1991 Galant VR-4 1562/2000 SOLD as of 03/2016
1998 Subaru Forester
2011 BMW 1M

Posts: 1044 | From: Budapest | Member Since: 07/27/08 | IP: (150.127.225.249) | Report this post to a Moderator

GIjoe
lol, Im an idiot
1562/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 875378 posted 02/18/10 10:38 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
[quote name=fuel
Go find a factory original US VR-4 with 510cc injectors, bigger intercooler (bigger than standard JDM type), larger intercooler piping, 4 bolt LSD rear end, higher flowing rear muffler, rear wiper, monsoon shields, dash pop up box, digital climate control air conditioning, close ratio gearbox etc etc list goes on.. that a FACTORY JDM Evolution VR-4 has.

Oh yeah, and you go find that exact car thats LEFT HAND DRIVE. :P

1991 Galant VR-4 1562/2000 SOLD as of 03/2016
1998 Subaru Forester
2011 BMW 1M

Edited by GIjoe (02/18/10 10:39 AM)

Posts: 1044 | From: Budapest | Member Since: 07/27/08 | IP: (150.127.225.249) | Report this post to a Moderator

DR1665
Kill him in the face with Wilson Phillips

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 875420 posted 02/18/10 12:22 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quoting mikewitdaspike:

Quoting DR1665:

Quoting turbowop:

Of the probably ten or so I know of locally, only one is owned by somebody I wouldn't consider an enthusiast. The rest of the ones I know of in the PNW are owned by enthusiasts as well. It's rare I ever see one I don't already know about.

Last time I counted, there were 10 or 11 here in the Phoenix area. I've met every owner (although one refused to own up to it, she probably thought I was a stalker). At one point, my friend Keith and I represented five, but he sold one.

liar! you haven't met me yet

Last time I counted, you didn't have one yet. So there!

Brian | 98 Pajero | Gearbox Magazine

Posts: 4631 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Member Since: 10/19/05 | IP: (204.17.31.126) | Report this post to a Moderator

DR1665
Kill him in the face with Wilson Phillips

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 875431 posted 02/18/10 12:53 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quoting Hertz:

Someone has a lead on the homologation papers? They're hosted here. Click the library link up top.

Would you believe I've never noticed that link until today. I thought everything was on YOUR page. #fail

(reading now)

Brian | 98 Pajero | Gearbox Magazine

Posts: 4631 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Member Since: 10/19/05 | IP: (204.17.31.126) | Report this post to a Moderator

H05TYL
Hover/Stand/Bend

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 875477 posted 02/18/10 03:37 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quoting GIjoe:

[quote name=fuel

Oh yeah, and you go find that exact car thats LEFT HAND DRIVE. :P

why would you want the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car?

'Collectors' may go nuts over a badge on the dash, but they also go nuts over original hose clips and cars that have been put in storage when brand new and never driven (what a waste).

IMO collectors in the future who want a dead stock vr4/evo/skyline/wrx/etc are missing the point - these cars are popular because they respond so well to modification, the whole culture is built around modifying and (hopefully) improving these cars - ignoring that is ignoring what made these cars special in the first place!

JDM E39A - 0010362 VR-4 Project 燃えないゴミ(Unburnable Junk) - stolen
JDM E39A - 0020096 VR-4 Daily - sold

Posts: 752 | From: Wgtn, NZ | Member Since: 06/09/07 | IP: (121.73.146.65) | Report this post to a Moderator

Hittman
my title is ghey

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 875481 posted 02/18/10 03:54 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I live in NORTHERN Va...I have never actually SEEN another VR4 on the road. ever. I know that there are a couple guys around that have em...but again I have never seen em.

It's cool because I get ALOT of looks from unsuspecting people...usually not young kid ricers...but mostly older people that are driving more "refined" cars. I dont know if they're thinking:

A.) What teh shit is that?

or

B.) Oh snap a VR4!

Now as for the rare arguement...I'd say if you have a dependable running VR4 (Replace all the bad sectors of the car/engine) and its spotless on the exterior and interior...with low-ish miles...THAT would be the definition of a RARE VR4

JDM e39a

Posts: 464 | From: Northern VA | Member Since: 09/11/09 | IP: (173.13.197.218) | Report this post to a Moderator

misterfixit
Victory Runner

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 875493 posted 02/18/10 05:26 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Usdm HISTORY?

The numbering bears no relation the the series number, the pedigree is what. The JDm ones were the ones used as the base vehicle for the rallycars, mr gravels car is from japan and them prepared by ralliart in the uk, as were all the works rallycars group N and group A. Mitsubishi had affiliated teams throughout the world running group n cars, but the group A cars were prepared in the UK from jdm stock.

The homologation papers build numbers are here:

These are in the order they are shown in the homologation papers.

As I understand it the last 7 digits of the us vin and the jdm vin are a simple series number that is to say for a jdm car the one that went down the line before it could have been a e33a and the one after an e35a. The splurge that tells you what the car is is noting to do with the order the cars came off the line.

But to be sure the best way would be break the chassis number database out of caps. that would be the definitive way to see how many vr4s were made. vr4 was only sold in japan, australia, us and the gulf countries and i think hongkong. europe never officially saw it. we got the gti16v.

To my mind yes they are rare. and its a dumb argument about wether they are or not. Are they appreciated? well i guess the only thing that matters to me is yes by me. But tell you one thing, ive spent a year looking for ANY e3x galant here in the uk and only seen 2 for sale.

/rant off

Rich

Quoting GIjoe:

Quoting fuel:

Quoting GIjoe:

^umm, thats cool, but they arent limited and numbered. I personally thing JDM VR4s are much better than the usdm ones, BUT they arent numbered, they wont be that special in the future. Sure some nice, perfect condition VR4 RS or monte carlos or even regular full option JDM VR4s will be worth something, but the fact that the usdm VR4s are numbered, and the only official left hand drive with special options like lether etc, will be the ones to hold value amongst car collectors in the futur.

Each to their own.. I would far prefer a Evolution, Monte Carlo or RS JDM VR-4 over an Aus spec or US spec VR-4 - the number means nothing to me, why sacrifice most of the good things in a VR-4 for a number?

"I personally think JDM VR4s are much better than the usdm ones"
I agree with you man. to me the ultimate vr4 is the jdm one (almost bought one in london 2 yrs ago!!!) but now that I have a usdm vr4, Ive learned to appreciate its history, and the fact that its numbered + thats its sort of a dsm ( i know its not, but still) and all these details. These are the things that will matter a lot for car collectors in 15yrs.
Now, rallye nuts will definetly go for a JDM VR4 (and so will I, cuz there are simply the best).

92 UK 1800 GALANT DD
88 JDM E39A GALANT VR-4, running. But only just.
93 CB4A --- rewound
91 PDM GTI Resurection project. Aborted
Stuff Index

Posts: 1548 | From: Midlands, UK | Member Since: 08/04/04 | IP: (83.67.97.128) | Report this post to a Moderator

misterfixit
Victory Runner

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 875496 posted 02/18/10 05:33 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
both left and right hand drive had uk plates. have to hit up our finish member to find out what his vin looks like? that'll spell the origin of the lhd shells.

Rich

92 UK 1800 GALANT DD
88 JDM E39A GALANT VR-4, running. But only just.
93 CB4A --- rewound
91 PDM GTI Resurection project. Aborted
Stuff Index

Posts: 1548 | From: Midlands, UK | Member Since: 08/04/04 | IP: (83.67.97.128) | Report this post to a Moderator

mikewitdaspike
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 875498 posted 02/18/10 05:41 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
Quoting DR1665:

Quoting mikewitdaspike:

Quoting DR1665:

Quoting turbowop:

Of the probably ten or so I know of locally, only one is owned by somebody I wouldn't consider an enthusiast. The rest of the ones I know of in the PNW are owned by enthusiasts as well. It's rare I ever see one I don't already know about.

Last time I counted, there were 10 or 11 here in the Phoenix area. I've met every owner (although one refused to own up to it, she probably thought I was a stalker). At one point, my friend Keith and I represented five, but he sold one.

liar! you haven't met me yet

Last time I counted, you didn't have one yet. So there!

touche my friend

| | | IP: (68.3.109.170) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4171

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.138 seconds in which 0.081 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page