GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » General VR4 Discussions » PSA - check your fuel filler hose
Previous thread Next thread

PSA - check your fuel filler hose

mk2davis
398/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1250170 posted 12/07/20 06:47 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Less than two years ago, my OEM fuel filler hose sprang a leak. I found a thread on here that gave a great tutorial on how to replace it using stock diameter elbows (1 5/8"). I bought mine from fuelfillersupply.com.

Lately, I've been smelling gas when I exit the vehicle. I suspected the fuel filter connections, as I have recently replaced my fuel filter. That always appeared dry, and I carried on.

While smelling my brakes, I learned the culprit was my less than two year old solution. My filler hose was cracking like crazy!

Jump online, only to learn that stock size rubber elbows were no longer available. At least I couldn't find them. I considered an exhaust shop for a one piece solution, but didn't think they could make right enough bends. The best solution I came up with was stock od aluminum elbows for intercoolers. Mated with J1527 marine hose couplers (97 cents a foot), I rebuilt the tube. The new soft hose is significantly more stout than my previous set up.

Hopefully, this will last more than 2 years. The old house looked like radiator hose, although was not sold as such. I'm not saying it was, but there is a good reason the old house is no longer available from the manufacturer.

Take a moment and look at your filler hose, ESPECIALLY if you've rebuilt it using parts from fuelfillersupply.com. Simply pressurizing the old tubes with my mouth revealed leaks.

Posts: 157 | From: Ventura, CA | Member Since: 03/01/15 | IP: (47.148.38.83) | Report this post to a Moderator

mk2davis
398/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1250171 posted 12/07/20 06:49 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
FYI, I cut off the ends of my old tube to help determine the length of my new tube. They were not originally that frayed.

Posts: 157 | From: Ventura, CA | Member Since: 03/01/15 | IP: (47.148.38.83) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1368

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.059 seconds in which 0.048 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page