The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Will not idle

ozyvr4

Hi guys, I need help.

I did an oil & filter change on the weekend. Everything went like normal, except I dripped some oil on the intake manifold side. Not much , would have been lucky to be 50ml. I decided to give the engine a degrease to clean the excess oil off. I did not spray degreaser or water onto any sensors. When I came to start & drive car later , it would not idle. It would run with a little throttle. Sometime the car will idle but very low 400rpm.

I have started a elimination process until I get it going. Things i've changed & tested.

I checked timing marks on crank & cams
I've check spark & while I was at it I changed the cas, igniter, coil pack. Spark is good.
I've check isc but most likely did not need to as I'm simulating idle from tps ( ecmlink V3 )
I unpluged tps to check for CEL ( got fault straight away. Reconnected & fault went away ( I also checked voltage with ecmlink. .59V @ 0% )
Fitted new spark plugs
When I had running I turned the injectors 1x1 to see if I notice a change in rpm. Rpm dropped with each injector switched off & on.
I'm running SD so I've ordered new GM 3 bar map to be safe. Should turn up tomorro. I"m still getting readings from MAP
I've checked fuel pressure
I've checked all fuses.

Car seems to drive ok. Oil pressure is the same as the before the oil change.

I'm totally lost.

Any advice or ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance guys

desant78

did you get a read out from what temperature the SD claims the car is at? (or something similar i've never used SD?)

A friend had a fried 2g MAF, and he knew this by looking at his logger and saw the outside temp on a nice 70 deg F day was reading air temp of 14 deg F...causing such issues.

also maybe some insight on the idle when it runs...is it lean? rich? is it oscillating back and forth? maybe this info might trigger the answer you need...- good luck

check the CA for water,, also look at the plug for the PTU by the coilpack to make sure it doesnt have water either.

ozyvr4

Thanks guys, I have check all the things advised. I got it going this mornning. I went & adjusted all the idle settings again ( tps, idle pin sw, biss ) . It is running again. I don't know the exact reason it stopped as the setting were not too bad. I still have to set the base timing & I'm going to replace the map sensor as I ordered a new 1.

Thanks again guys.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned