The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Motor/tranny vibration but, pressin the clutch....

broxma

...and viola it goes away. I just got the turbo installed. I am yet to get the final pictures for the setup but will post them in my build log shortly. Anywho...

When I start the car she is fine. I say "she" because I have given her the name or "Raggedy Anne". Regardless of the naming structure, Anne is fine with the clutch pressed in. Engine is smooth as it ever has been, however once the clutch comes out it slowly, sometimes suddenly begins to vibrate the entire motor/tranny, badly.

Again, clutch in, goes away. Now my common sense tells me that having the clutch out, I am connecting the flywheel thus the motor, to the tranny through the disc. With the clutch in, the connection is broken. In either position the flywheel and pressure plate would be spinning with Engine RPM. The only thing which would then be off balance would be the disc itself or something in the transmission.

The tranny is a new Stage 2 ShepTrans with about 400 miles on it. I am at a loss for what it could be. It is bad enough video of it would be rather conclusive. Maybe I will get some to show the masses what I am trying to say so that a solution can be plotted. As of now, the current solution is take the tranny off which I am not looking forward to.

/brox

G

Staff member

broxma

I believe after some thought I know what is happening. The flywheel is either coming loose of the aluminum is starting to give at the bolt holes. When I press in the clutch, the TOB presses against the plate, pushing the flywheel into a normal position, hence, the vibration goes away.

I'll be dropping the tranny in the next day or so and I expect to see either the flywheel in need of replacing or some bolt on its way back out.

/brox

marvinmadman

Did you use longer bolts? I used the FP kit when I installed my aluminum flywheel.

broxma

I didn't. I used the factory bolts. I'm going to be working on the Evo tomorrow but will be taking the tranny off in the next day or two. I may try and find one of the 6 bolt AT flywheel rings at the yard.

/brox

mitsuturbo

The last time i saw this happen on a car, it was a 2g gsx. Turns out, a couple of bolt holes stripped on the aluminum flywheel. The owner was pretty pissed that his new fidanza was shot.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned