The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front Engine Mount Bolt

I am replacing my front engine mount with the 13-505 Prothane bushing. I noticed that the bolt that passes thru the bushing sleeve is considerably smaller than the hole in the bushing sleeve. The stock mount that was removed had the same sized hole as the prothane I am installing. Is this normal? Should there be that much play between the bolt and the prothane bushing sleeve? Should I drill out the bracket to accept a larger bolt that fits the bushing hole? Thanks

Mine is the same way. I noticed it a while back when I took my motor out. Cant really say if that is how it is suppose to be, but im in the same boat.

Yes that's how they are. If you notice the center sleeve has ridges on the edges to lock in the bolt. You're supposed to measure the propper height then tighten. No one ever does that though. I just replace mine last night with a new Billet mount made by Torque Solution. The center sleeve is noticably smaller than the factory unit. 1st impressions is that I hardly notice the mount was changed & I'm very picky when it comes on to ride quality /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

This will help minimize engine movement. This is really crucial especially the guys running an upgraded turbo where the real estate in the front is almost non-existent. This picture is not of my car. I forgot to take a picture of the mount before I installed it. Once it was installed I couldn't see it anymore due my intercooler piping.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I had to use a longer bolt on the front of the crossmember. The Torque Solution's mount is significantly beefier than the oem unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks, I did a quick measurement and it looks like the center of the new bushing will fall within the spec listed in the manual, so I am going to go up in bolt size to minimize movement. I appreciate the input or I would have never figured it out! Then it is on to the back one. I am sure it will be lots of fun!

Anybody drill their bracket from the engine that is bolt goes thru into the new mount to accept a larger bolt? If so how hard was it to get to line back up? Thanks

If the bolt is tightened down properly there wont be movement. Why would you drill out the bracket for a larger bolt? Am I missing something?

The hole thru the stock mount and the new prothane mount are quite a bit larger that the factory bolt, thus allowing possible movement. So I guess my question is will it stay put using the factory torque spec of 36-47 ft-lbs.?

I dunno. I usually use my impact, set low which gives about 80ish ft/lb. I have never noticed any movement, but if it gives you piece of mind I guess why not do it. Just seems unnecessary to me.

I ended up installing the front mount after installing the other three. I used a slightly larger bolt after jacking up the motor to reach the 1.7" - 2.0" length spec to the center of the bolt. The engine will probably never move due to the stiffness of the the polyurethane mounts, so I didn't concern myself with trying to drill out the bracket to accept a larger bolt. I tightened the bolt to 60 ft-lbs and called it a day. Started it up, minimal viration. Should do well. I am thinking gear changes will be much improved, we will see. Thanks everyone for their input.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned