The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

94mm stroker

Jesh

can you use a 94mm crank in a 6 bolt and not have to grind your block? i know you have to with a 100mm crank but i was just wondering.

Jesh

i would have to use custom stroker pistons with any stroker setup wouldn't I? i'm just curious if i would have to grind the block anywhere to make a 94mm crankshaft fit in a 6 bolt 4g63 block. i know you have to grind the block if you are going to use a 100mm crank, does the same apply to a 94mm crank?

EMX5636

You don't need "custom" pistons per-se. Many companies make an off the shelf stroker piston. If you went with the 94mm stroke, you'd either have to use those off the shelf stroker pistons with 3mm longer rods (correct me if I'm wrong on the measurement, but they do need to be longer). Or you could use stock length off the shelf rods and have pistons made with a wrist pin height somewhere between 2.0L and stroker 2.3L ones.

As far as grinding the block, don't worry about it, it's really not hard to do, and I'm sure your machinist is capable if you don't feel ok with it. I couldn't tell you if you would still need to grind with the 94mm crank. I'd assume so, because I think I removed a bit more than 6mm from the main caps. You probably don't have to clearance the #3 cyl because that was only minor grinding necessary.

Last edited:

belize1334

I'd call one of the retailers and see if they've had to grind on previous 94mm setups. Remember that the 94mm crank buys you 3mm extra clearance compared to the usual stroker so that could be enough. Also, if you used the usual stroker pistons w/ 6mm offset pins then you could run 153mm rods. This would give you a rod ratio of 1.63 which is alot better than the 1.5 you get w/ a normal stroker. IMHO the problem is that your displacment is only going from 2.0L to 2.13L which isn't a big enough gain to warrant the hassle.

Edit Contact Magnus about the 94mm setup. They've been having good luck with them it seems (badged a 2.2 when used on a bored out 4g64) and could probably tell you all about what has to be done to make it work.

Last edited:

EMX5636

Good info Roger. I did double my measurement, I thought so. Thanks for the clarification!

Jesh

thanks guys good info, and i'm more than willing to grind away at the block, but i'm just kinda trying to figure out all my options before i make a choice.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned