The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Burning Coolant

BoostedAWD91

I seem to be burning or loosing coolant somewhere. Every week or two depending on how much i drive the car, i have to add maybe 1/4 to 1/2 gallon of water. Its not leaking anywhere, Compression and leakdown test were good so headgasket should be fine. The coolant/water mixture is about 40/60 i would say. Could i be loosing it in the block?

My heater hoses were weeping slightly around the clamps. It was on the underside of them so I didnt notice it until I touched it and it was sticky. It drove me nuts for a couple weeks too.

BoostedAWD91

yeah i have checked everything and nothing is leaking and everything under the hood is new

BoostedAWD91

i dont believe so. hard to tell with the dash in but there is no water dripping under the dash or any wet carpet spots anywhere

Have you checked under the hood with the car up to temp? I know that you said you checked everywhere but im just asking.

prove_it

You should do a cooling system pressure test and see how long it holds pressure. Another idea is that your radiator cap is bad and allowing coolant to run into the overflow and eventually blow out. Just an idea. You may also have a crack in the radiator on the front side facing the AC condensor. You'll never see that leak, which is why a pressure test will force coolant out and you can trace the leak better.

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
Compression and leakdown test were good so headgasket should be fine.

What headgasket is it?

prove_it

That reminds me, on my Accord it kept getting a little low on the coolant. I couldn't find any external leaks at all. Compression was good, but the coolant presure test would leak down slowly. I finally pulled the head off and on the gasket there was a little tiny piece of the gasket had failed. I was still attached, but loose so it worked like a one way and would let coolant out under cylinder vaccuum and under pressure it would seal. I replaced the gasket and all was well.

BoostedAWD91

there is no leaks while its at full temp and i have done a pressure check and
the cap and system all hold pressure fine. i dont have a/c so i can see the
entire radiator and no leaks

prove_it

Your not getting any into the oil are you? check your dipstick and see if your oil line is higher than it should be. Also it could be milky if you have coolant in the oil.

prove_it

must be the coolant gnomes. damn them, damn them all to hell.

Hertz

Staff member
Water lines to turbo still there, leaking? Get some coolant coming out on a nice hot turbo and that will be instant vapor.

GVR-4

I vote for head gasket, since I just had the same problem and replaced mine.
lol.gif

BoostedAWD91

no all coolant lines for the turbo are gone. im running the mls headgasket and definatly no signs of any headgasket problems unless its something very small that wouldnt effect anything

prove_it

^ that's what my accord did. I had great compression, no external leaks. It failed just enough. CHeck your plugs, if there is a light greenish tint to them, then most likly you have coolant in the combustion. You'll have to look hard.

BoostedAWD91

ill have to double check again, i just replaced the plugs a few weeks ago and they
were are in great shape yet and didnt notice any greenish tint to them but ill
check the new ones and see if there is anything

prove_it

That makes it even better. Post some good pics if you can.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned