The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

driveshaft?

MellowVR4

got a question, would a one piece driveshaft make a difference in how the car drives, you know like going into turns or going over bumps or anything like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gifim sure can anybody help me out.

prove_it

as far as I know the only difference there would be is the driveshaft is aluminum or steel. Aluminum is lighter which helps acceleration, steel is heavier but can handle more stress. Aluminum doesn't twist as much as steel, so it could break easier under higher levels of horsepower.

Barnes

A)You cannot use a one piece driveshaft in these cars. We've gone around in circles talking about it and it really is not feasible.

B)Prove it: Aluminum driveshafts are made so they twist more than steel. Significantly more so actually. This twist helps absorb shock on launch. Aluminum driveshafts help to prevent drive train parts from breaking and at the same time free up some weight.

NateCrisman

Because when you draw the absolute straight line that a 1 piece shaft would take between the Xcase and Diff, you will find your driveshaft interesecting your unibody. not to mention because of the odd path, using mutliple joints allows each joint to work at less angle. If you somehow chopped off the unibody areas that would hit your one piece shaft, you will find you have a crazy big angle at both u-joints and they won't last long .

Ever see a super lifted truck/jeep and take a look at the driveshaft? They will often run shafts are obsurd angles and the joints blow up on a regular basis. A joint that has to travel through 2* of angle every revolution might last 10 years/100k miles. A joint that has to travel through 15* of angle might last 2 months and might snap the first time you hit it with any big power.

Last edited:

prove_it

oopps, my bad I had to two backwards. Here is a thread from a while back that explains it. Dialcaliper explains it towards the end of the page.
Thanks for calling me out!

click

Last edited:

MellowVR4

so wats the best thing to do? i was either gona do that, or get my oem one all new universals and support bearings.

prove_it

depends on your budget.

cheekychimp

You can get an aluminium driveshaft from driveshaftshop.com which replaces the first TWO sections of the OEM driveshaft. It comes with a yoke connector that allows you to use the original third section at the rear of the vehicle.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned