The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front motor mount broke off of block...

sleepyvr4

Got the new car (stock 92 6 bolt 4 bolt) for $1100 - drove 500 miles back to Pittsburgh and upon proper inspection noticed the front engine mount snapped off and took a chunk of the block with it. After talking to Curt Brown I am considering just eliminating the mount. The engine is solid 160-170psi on a supposed rebuild - never been hammered. I have a 6 bolt with a good mount lined up but it has been through abuse.

Should I say F the front engine mount - and go with solid/inserted mounts on the other 3? Or get this other bottom end? Time and money are of issue...

Thanks

(pics soon)

Oh yeah - I bought this for a donor car...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

fivestardsm

Is the chunk that is broken actually out of the block? Is the piece still there? I have had the same problem before, and was able to weld it back on and never had an issue. The only revision I had to make tough, was where the bolt went into the block, it now has a stud welded in. It works just as well. I was even able to do the repair in the car with only the transmission out.

Hertz

Staff member
+1. I had mine welded. Without it the clutch slave cylinder ended up hitting the crossmember and leaking. Granted this car had a lot of stuff out of alignment.

fivestardsm

The condition of the cart isnt the factor. Mine was broken because the transmission was loose, and the front mount rubber was shot.

And also, Yes the car was imaculate with out a spot of rust and only around 90K on it.

sleepyvr4

Quoting Hertz:
+1. I had mine welded. Without it the clutch slave cylinder ended up hitting the crossmember and leaking. Granted this car had a lot of stuff out of alignment.

o k .

sleepyvr4

ok - so upon inspection the top bolt for the front motor mount is ok. The bottom one is broke off and fubared. Gonna attempt to weld it in the next couple days. If I weld this TEL mount to the block will it still mount up to a gvr4 subframe???

If your going to weld it, I would use a stick welder and use a very high nickle content rod. My 2 centz.

fivestardsm

Do you think that you might beable to put up a picture of the broken area?

The reason I ask is becasue it sounds like you might be confused. When the statements about welding the block were put out there, they were ment for welding the block, not the mount to the block.

My oppinion is DO NOT weld the mount to the block. Do you still have all the pieces of the block where it broke? If so, then just weld them back together. If you dont still have them, the you might possibly beable to fill the missing area with weld. This would be the best way to fix it.

Also, as mentioned above, use nickle rod to weld the cast. It will be less likely to break. Granted the cast on these motors is good enough to use mild steel rod or wire, its just more prone to break because of the porosity pf the cast.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned