The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Autometer shift light.

prove_it

Ok so I got a free Autometer Pro Shift Light and instead of having a bulky metal tube on my dash I decide to take the bulb out and extend it so I can mount the bulb in the cluster and hide the tube in the glovebox. It looks bad ass. I soildered the wires and know for sure I did not damage the board. My friend who gave it to me swears it worked in his car. Here's the problem though, it doesn't work. The bulb will flash if you take the adjuster to 12k and quickly turn it down. I took the power and ground and tach signal at the computer from the same wires that the an afc would use. Anyone know why it won't flash at an rpm point?

Gimpin

do you really need a shift light? I have never driven any thing that reved so fast I couldnt shift by listening to the engine. Just takes some time learning your car.

prove_it

Your funny. It's not for me. It's a bling thing. Also I like modding everything. Not to mention it was free and I don't have a job so I got bored.
no I don't need it. I know how to drive. I used to drift my accord, no e brake.

I'm not interested in comments like that.
I'm interested in help.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Does it need to be set for # of cylinders?

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Quoting Gimpin:
do you really need a shift light? I have never driven any thing that reved so fast I couldnt shift by listening to the engine. Just takes some time learning your car.

Get beside a open header car at the track, and you can't hear your own thoughts.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Double check your install here I'm assuming this is the one since you didn't post a model/part number.

Brianawd

Quote:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I hope your joking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

slugsgomoo

not every car is as fast as yours brian, stop breakin balls /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

prove_it

Ok so I'm not very familiar with shift lights and I was told it was an Autometer. After some research I found out it is actually a GlowShift light. Yea POS i know, but it was free and should work. I set it up for four cylinders and still nothing. Anyone know of any other ECU pins that I can use for a rpm signal?

prove_it

What don't believe it? Any car can. Out in Rapid City there was a guy who would show up at the auto-x with a 2001 nissian frontier and drift the course. I always thought it was going to tip sometime.

streetmasters

too funny- y would anyone wanna drift an accord or a frontier lol....guess its fun?

Lonewolf64

I feel like this is a late April fool's thread? Maybe we should merge with the slow and curious thread to consolidate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

turbowop

Quoting prove_it:
What don't believe it? Any car can. Out in Rapid City there was a guy who would show up at the auto-x with a 2001 nissian frontier and drift the course. I always thought it was going to tip sometime.

You can't keep a long, controlled drift going with a FWD car. Maybe you flicked the rear end out a couple times, but that's not drifting.

prove_it

There is a major misunderstanding of what REAL drifting really is. What you see at car shows and in movies is not drifting, it's controlled power sliding for show.

Real drifting involves going into a corner wide with excessive speed, then initiating a minor slide by using momentum or a faint manuever, then controlling the UNDERSTEER in order to smoothly execute the corner at a slightly higher speed than the tires are willing.

Power sliding is oversteering,
Drifting is understeering.

Go read the drift bible.

prove_it

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting prove_it:

You can't keep a long, controlled drift going with a FWD car. Maybe you flicked the rear end out a couple times, but that's not drifting.

Yes you can. You have to be crazy and not care if you die. It helps spending 6-8 hours a weekend driving touge, Not performing anti-lag launches and going straight.

prove_it

Anyways, I would like to know which ecu wire is best for a tach signal. Currently I am using the Coil 1 output signal wire that the AFC2 instructions say to use for a AFC. Not sure if maybe this wire isn't good enough, are there any others I could try, what have you guys used?

turbowop

Quoting prove_it:

Yes you can. You have to be crazy and not care if you die. It helps spending 6-8 hours a weekend driving touge, Not performing anti-lag launches and going straight.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/gay.gif

Lonewolf64

Quoting prove_it:

Dude, what the hell is your attitude problem? Do you have something to prove? Just take a chill pill, as we are all friends here and try to be a bit more friendly with your fellow enthusiasts.

Olson

I used to drift my rc car!
lol wtf this sh*t makes me laugh . plus i wanted to be part of the makeing of an epic thread!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned