The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Powering Fuel Pump From Amp? *PIC ADDED*

JSchleim18

Hey would there be any drawbacks to powering the Fuel Pump rewire by using a distribution block from my amps...my power wire is too short to reach the front of the car and I already have a block in place...would there be less draw to the fuel pump or what? Thanks

Last edited:

Terry Posten

You need to provide us with:

Gauge and length of wire
Fuse size at battery
Amp size and draw

grocery_getter

Make sure you have enough AMP reserve in the wire leading to the distribution block and that it is sized and fused properly so when the bass hit and your amp draw extra current, your fuel pump wont be starved of current.

JSchleim18

Gauge & Length - 10AWG & would be approx. a foot and a half from relay to block
Fuse Size - 25 amp
Amp Size - 300W & 150W JL Audio

Polish

What is going from the battery to the block? If only 10 gauge then no dice. For those 2 amps and the fuel pump I'd do a 4 gauge main feed. Then 8 or 10 gauge from the block to the amps/pump. The main fuse will need to be 60-80 amps.

Terry Posten

How long is the feed wire from the battery to the power block?

JSchleim18

OK here we go...from the battery i have: 250 amp big ass fuse with 4 Gauge High Current Power wire all the way to the dist. block and then off the block i have 8 Gauge Wire going to the amps

JSchleim18

Quote:
How long is the feed wire from the battery to the power block?

I can't tell exactly how many feet but maybe 10-11...the battery was relocated to the intake and the dist. block is screwed to the back seats below the little opening (this is looking at it from the trunk)...the power wire runs on the driver side

grocery_getter

What we are all worrying about is if you have enough of a wire size and fuse on the wire leading to the distribution block. That last 1.5 foot from the distribution block to the fuel pump isn't going to be as critical as the main supply to the distribution block with 450W worth of amp already on it.

JSchleim18

OK sorry about that...i think i clarified everything else up in the last 2 posts

Polish

Ok, you are fine then. 4g is good.

JSchleim18

aight thanks for the help...so i should have ZERO worries letting her go through the dist. block! Great!

Terry Posten

Run a 10GA wire from the pump housing plate to a frame point (clean all gounding points and then protect). Just because you have 10GA for power does not mean that the pump is gounded good enough stock.

JSchleim18

no the ground is 10GA IIRC...i ran it from the relay and did everything as per VFAQ

Yes but that's the relay ground; it's not connected to the fuel pump. He's talking about grounding the fuel pump as well, so you're upgrading both the hot and cold sides (relative to the pump) of the circuit for optimal flow. Which is a good idea btw; I'm going to go ground my fuel pump this afternoon. Thanks for the tip.

JSchleim18

Ohh aight I got you now!...I shall do that tomorrow...Thanks

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I had a grounding issue following my rewire, new fuel pump and reconnecting a wire that broke off the fuel pump housing. I added a second ground to make sure it was good and stable. Good advice to make sure the ground is good, because otherwise it can shut down the fuel system.

JSchleim18

Quoting Terry Posten:
Run a 10GA wire from the pump housing plate to a frame point (clean all gounding points and then protect). Just because you have 10GA for power does not mean that the pump is gounded good enough stock.

Bringing this thread back up...would I be able to get away with grounding this wire from the housing plate to the bolt that the rear bumper bolts to (that big ass bolt coupled with another one for the bumper support)??? Thanks

curtis

I'll also add its always good when moving the battery to the trunk to run a separate ground all the way to the front into a distribution block. I've seen cars do some werid stuff without it. Also it doesn't hurt to run a larger cable from the alternator over to the fuse block. I actually have two on mine. One is the factory one and the other is just a stock wire from a suzuki grand vitara or something. The whole harness was laying behind my buddies shop so it was free. Its a little larger gauge than the stock vr4 one.

Reason for all this. Why run a 2 gauge positive cable from the battery in the trunk to the front of the car when its only being feed from a wire a 1/4 of the size and is 16 years old.

JSchleim18

Here's a pic for reference:

Would this be a good ground point for the fuel pump rewire?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned