GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » A/C Problems
Previous thread Next thread

A/C Problems

GreenHornet
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 373044 posted 08/22/06 11:08 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
So I tried to charge my A/C and noticed all the r134 was fogging into the interior of the car as it got sucked in. Does that mean the evaporator core is bad? If so, how hard is it to change and are replacements available or do I have to take my chances with a used one hoping that wont leak either? Any help appreciated, thanks.

| | | IP: (68.161.207.218) | Report this post to a Moderator

pisces
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 373062 posted 08/22/06 12:05 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
DEFINITELY sounds like the evaporator his cooled its last cool. Probably a hole in the inlet or outlet tube, or in the core somewhere. If it were me, I was planning on keeping the car for any extended amount of time and valued A/C the way I do I'd pick up a new one at your local parts store, if not the dealer ( $$)

I've never tackled an evaporator on a GVR-4 (though I've been through about every other A/C component), but I did have to pull out the lower ducting, evaporator and box on my 1G to get at the wiring harness. Let me tell ya, I'd rather not go through that debacle again! Not fun and I sure don't envy you right now. Though, I do loves me some cold A/C...

Some pages from the FSM that may help you out:

| | | IP: (24.158.18.222) | Report this post to a Moderator

ken inn
BJ Titsengolf lifer

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 373072 posted 08/22/06 12:23 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
i pulled the evaporator. you can easily do it with the dash still in place. when i did the heater core, i had to pull the dash. you do have to pull the glovebox, then you access it from there. iirc, only 4 bolts/nuts hold it in place. i would never put a used evap in. think about it, any used one is gonna be 15 years old. if you like doing the job, go ahead. i only changed the expansion valve. you wont believe all the crap that gets in there.

A Veteran is some one who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to the government for any amount up to and including my life.

Remember Freedom is not Free!

Posts: 7529 | From: krum texas | Member Since: 02/23/01 | IP: (71.51.38.219) | Report this post to a Moderator

CP
Still lingering, kinda like a chili and beer fart

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 373080 posted 08/22/06 12:41 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
There are enough people here who have deleted the AC that you should be able to find used parts if you don't want to drop the coin on new stuff.

-Cy
Resident Spec Miata Racer | '93 Audi UrS4 | '04 Ram CTD | #1788/2000: SOLD

Posts: 8936 | From: West Simsbury, CT | Member Since: 08/30/04 | IP: (198.105.0.4) | Report this post to a Moderator

GreenHornet
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 373300 posted 08/22/06 08:33 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Thanks alot for the replys! Anyone have any idea what a new evap. costs from a parts store or if they would even carry it? What else should I replace while I have it apart if anything? Thanks again guys

| | | IP: (162.83.135.119) | Report this post to a Moderator

s_firestone
Ctrl-Alt-Boost
918/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 373329 posted 08/22/06 10:23 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Don't bother wasting money on a new part, just get one off the board in good condition. I would check that its not simply an O-ring at the firewall(2 O-rings) or expansion valve(3 O-rings). It's pretty rare for an aluminum evaporator to spring a leak. Not impossible, but far less likely than an O-ring. The O-rings on the other hand are rubber, they are the only thing keeping the refrigerant in the system. After 14 years they are the weakpoint in the system. I say pull the evaporator and inspect it before forking up money for a new one.

Replace the expansion valve (about $50) and drier (about $45) and all the O-rings in the system.

Stephen Firestone
1992 GVR4 #918 of 1K

Posts: 1610 | From: Park City, UT USA | Member Since: 06/27/02 | IP: (24.170.24.226) | Report this post to a Moderator

ken inn
BJ Titsengolf lifer

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 373465 posted 08/23/06 07:44 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
the reason i would go new is because i sell the crap out of evaps. or, at least, i USED to. even tho they are for german cars, i would think they are all made the same. i also have a couple of friends who work at a/c stores here in dallas, and they sell the crap out of them, even to dealers. including japanese cars. a closed system is way less chance of corrosion, once the system is open, and no lubricant, like an evap sitting around for years, it can corrode. i hate redoing stuff, especially a/c, where you gotta evacuate, put a new drier, then the cost of the freon, etc.

A Veteran is some one who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to the government for any amount up to and including my life.

Remember Freedom is not Free!

Posts: 7529 | From: krum texas | Member Since: 02/23/01 | IP: (71.51.38.219) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
1 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1111

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.147 seconds in which 0.104 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page