The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

AC removal question

s_firestone

This question was sent to me via PM regarding the removal of the AC compressor. The service manual shows a spacer for the half-shaft bolts once the compressor is removed.

Quote:

Quote:

hi,
i have a question about removing the ac. after removing the compressor, there is a gap where the axle bracket bolts dont go in all the way into the block. is that ok for the axle? or do i have to get some spacers? thanks for the help.
Mark

Thants an interesting question. Are you referring to the half-shaft? My compresor has four bolts and snugs up to the block. Let me look at the diagram in the service manual. There are lots of people who have removed AC permanently. I chose to get mine working.

I looked in the service manual and is does indeed show a spacer on one bolt, but does not mention it in the AC section, but rather the front axle section. Here is a picture. Look at the part labeled #7 I'm not sure of the orientation of this part due to the fact that it does not affect removal and replacement of the AC compressor. I've pulled and replaced my compressor several times. I have pulled the half-shaft and front axle in a separate job and never noticed this.

I'm going to start a thread in technical questions if one has not already been started. Someone will be able to give a definitive answer.

Can someone who has removed their AC verify whether or not a spacer is required for one of the half-shaft bolts? Or does the half-shaft differ on a car with AC? None of the diagrams in the service manual show this conclusively. It is mentioned, but not elaborated on.

Thanks,
Stephen Firestone

Muskrat

My car doesn;t have the compressor in it. When I did my transmisson swap, I didn't notice any spacer on that bolt, and when I went back on it seemed to bolt up snugly.

lunchbox

All 1G TEL styled vehicles require a spacer on one of the bolts for the crossover shaft if the A/C compressor bracket is removed. You can either order the spacer, or use two 6 bolt head bolt washers or cut the corner off the stock bracket.

s_firestone

Thanks for the answer. Given that a lot of people are whatever parts are available, that will come in handy. I could see serious problems if somthing like that was missed on an install.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts