GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » AC removal question
Previous thread Next thread

AC removal question

s_firestone
Ctrl-Alt-Boost
918/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 338641 posted 05/14/06 10:01 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
This question was sent to me via PM regarding the removal of the AC compressor. The service manual shows a spacer for the half-shaft bolts once the compressor is removed.

Quote:

Quote:

hi,
i have a question about removing the ac. after removing the compressor, there is a gap where the axle bracket bolts dont go in all the way into the block. is that ok for the axle? or do i have to get some spacers? thanks for the help.
Mark

Thants an interesting question. Are you referring to the half-shaft? My compresor has four bolts and snugs up to the block. Let me look at the diagram in the service manual. There are lots of people who have removed AC permanently. I chose to get mine working.

I looked in the service manual and is does indeed show a spacer on one bolt, but does not mention it in the AC section, but rather the front axle section. Here is a picture. Look at the part labeled #7 I'm not sure of the orientation of this part due to the fact that it does not affect removal and replacement of the AC compressor. I've pulled and replaced my compressor several times. I have pulled the half-shaft and front axle in a separate job and never noticed this.

I'm going to start a thread in technical questions if one has not already been started. Someone will be able to give a definitive answer.

Can someone who has removed their AC verify whether or not a spacer is required for one of the half-shaft bolts? Or does the half-shaft differ on a car with AC? None of the diagrams in the service manual show this conclusively. It is mentioned, but not elaborated on.

Thanks,
Stephen Firestone

Stephen Firestone
1992 GVR4 #918 of 1K

Posts: 1610 | From: Park City, UT USA | Member Since: 06/27/02 | IP: (24.170.24.226) | Report this post to a Moderator

Muskrat
665/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 338669 posted 05/14/06 11:41 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
My car doesn;t have the compressor in it. When I did my transmisson swap, I didn't notice any spacer on that bolt, and when I went back on it seemed to bolt up snugly.

Brian L.
91 Galant VR-4 #665/2000

Posts: 2105 | From: Lexington, KY | Member Since: 06/13/04 | IP: (66.66.9.137) | Report this post to a Moderator

lunchbox
:ugh: face

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 338712 posted 05/14/06 02:35 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
All 1G TEL styled vehicles require a spacer on one of the bolts for the crossover shaft if the A/C compressor bracket is removed. You can either order the spacer, or use two 6 bolt head bolt washers or cut the corner off the stock bracket.

Posts: 1140 | From: Mil-walk-it-out, WI | Member Since: 05/29/05 | IP: (69.179.5.140) | Report this post to a Moderator

s_firestone
Ctrl-Alt-Boost
918/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 338951 posted 05/15/06 10:53 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
Thanks for the answer. Given that a lot of people are whatever parts are available, that will come in handy. I could see serious problems if somthing like that was missed on an install.

Stephen Firestone
1992 GVR4 #918 of 1K

Posts: 1610 | From: Park City, UT USA | Member Since: 06/27/02 | IP: (169.135.104.125) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
2 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1029

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.097 seconds in which 0.08 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page