The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3kGT VR4 front Tein HA fitment on GVR4

Title says it - I picked up a cheap set of used front 3kGT VR4 Tein HAs on eBay to replace the GVR4's dead GAB fronts. The lower mount is a direct bolt-on, but the pillowball upper mount has much larger 3-bolt spacing. However, it does appear that there is plenty of material to redrill the upper mount to the GVR4 spacing. As bonus, the coilovers should give me some much-needed front wheel clearance.

The overall strut lengths are comparable, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. The Tein springs on the other hand might be - 12 kg/mm [670 lb/in]. Tein does not recommend going under 10 kg/mm [560 lb/in] for this strut damping, so this might be a killer stiff ride.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Yiuwa

My friend did a similar thing on his E39A with Tein HR from 3kGT VR4 (again because he bumped into an extremely good deal set in junkyard). His set didn't come along with pillowball upper mount, and he ended up using the stock one from E39A. It does fit but as you said the ride is extremely stiff

Let us know how it goes, and ideally some pix

G

Staff member
maybe just buy some tein camber plates for an e39a & swap them ?

Ted Andkilde

Hey Kyle

You could always try it with softer springs and see how it feels, FWIW, cranking the damping up on front or 4wd cars can help front turn-in when autocrossing, can also cause terminal, cone killing, understeer if the surface is too bumpy.

You could also send them to Larry Parker in Detroit to see if he could revalve them.

Cheers, Ted

Last edited:

G-Quote:
maybe just buy some tein camber plates for an e39a & swap them ?

But that'd be easy and cost money as opposed to just drilling new holes. I can be a cheap bastard at times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ted-Quote:
You could always try it with softer springs and see how it feels... You could also send them to Larry Parker in Detroit to see if he could revalve them.

Good point about Larry, I hadn't thought about revalving them. I'll try them as-is and work from there. That's the fun part...

G

Staff member
uh tein camber plates cost $150.00.

$75.00 a piece.

even though there may be a good amount of material i would be concerned about taking away from the integrity of a critical part such as suspension, you will be weakening the metal so it will be more prone to fatigue, i would just use the stock top mounts or if you really want to have the camber plates just do it right and buy some.

you know what would be really cheap is replacing your whole car when a strut breaks loose ;-)

Ben

Quote:
even though there may be a good amount of material i would be concerned about taking away from the integrity of a critical part such as suspension, you will be weakening the metal so it will be more prone to fatigue, i would just use the stock top mounts or if you really want to have the camber plates just do it right and buy some.

you know what would be really cheap is replacing your whole car when a strut breaks loose ;-)

Ben

He'll be fine. If people all thought like this we'd never mod our cars because we might do something the mfg didn't intend

G

Staff member
Quote:
"tein camber plates cost $150.00"
Great! Who sells them in USA?

any of these guys can order them for you :

http://www.tein.com/dealer/il.html

tein has them in stock here in the u.s.

Sorry, but I looked all over the Tein site and did not see part number for a front pillow ball mount to fit 1991 Galant AWD Turbo.

I just had a set on mine. I bought them a couple of months ago, so I know they are out there to get.

Quote:
Quote:

Ben

He'll be fine. If people all thought like this we'd never mod our cars because we might do something the mfg didn't intend

lol, sorry to be so conservative, as you can see i am with my car as well, putting a tranny thats not supposed to be on there and a turbo on a 10:1 compression NA block.

obviously people wouldnt mod their cars if people didnt do things differently, however that doesnt mean everyone does things correctly or safe when modding them, myself included, however i am just saying from a somewhat engineering standpoint it doesnt seem too sound especially doing it to such a critical part of the car. have you modeled that top plate in a stress program to see what adding those extras holes will do to stress points and cyclic failure? i havent, but i also know i would not drill extra holes in a tophat.

maybe i am picturing it wrong, but i am just trying to offer a technical opinion, clearly you outrank me on the board so i am sure my comments wont mean much but i am just trying to help.

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:

3Diamond

You have turbo on a NA block? How much boost?

Ben,

Seriously, I do appreciate the concern about weakening the strut mount. But you'll see when I post pics that there is plenty of material to work with. Any reduction in strength from drilling three new holes is not going to be significant since the original holes will be outside the main load area towards the edges. Worst case even if I'm wrong, I'm putting no one at risk except myself.

Well, I ordered a set from a local store. I have a template (thanks to Steve Reidmueller) which I will use to check bolt pattern when they arrive.

G

Staff member
i've got a set of tein camber plates in my garage nib, with the part #, but then i would have to get up & go out to my garage.

G

Staff member
ok here it is #PAR08-31PFR

G

Staff member
Quote:
Sorry, but I looked all over the Tein site and did not see part number for a front pillow ball mount to fit 1991 Galant AWD Turbo.

http://www.tein.co.jp/pumnt2e.html

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts