The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

quaife front differential

fourforty

so i was looking at the quaife front and center differentials for dsm. has anyone had any experience with these? i am under the assumption that they are for 1G. does anyone know for sure? also are the front and rear diff interchangeable into our 3 bolt diff or the 4 bolt LSD diff? also any idea why they do not sell a rear diff?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
These guys here know a shi-ton about the parts interchanges that work and don't, but this is what I know.

Quaife product page QDH8B

If you have an AWD setup, then you have a front 25 spline inner axle setup, and the Quaife QDH8B mates to it and these:

USDM Galant VR4 AWD 91-92 (w5m33) ,
USDM early DSM FWD 90-92.5(KM215/F5M33)
USDM Colt/Mirage 1989 FWD using a 4g61t(KM210/F5M31)
Sonata using the FWD (KM210/f5m31) likely 2.4 SOHC motor combo

If you run a QDH8B in a FWD setup read the paragraph below, if you installing the Quaife QDH8B into an AWD transmission, then it should almost drop in, with a little checking of the case side shims I imagine.

Best to have all components in a controlled environment/at room temperature, when setting preload/free play.

AWD diff in a FWD trans:
AWD front diffs use a ball and cage bearing setup, with different shimming due to the ball and cage bearing being considerably skinnier.
The diff will drop well below the level it should in the case and to mate inline with the other final drive gear, when installed in a FWD trans.
The shop/person installing the diff simply has to measure up the diff and shim it appropriately using the free play spec (ball and cage) or preload (taper bearing).
FWD tapered bearings use shims on the outside case to be setup for preload, the ball and cages requires careful measuring using solder or a trans case measurement tool
so that you can figure out what shims go in between the bearings and the crown gear. This is important, otherwise you have to press off your bearings and risk ruining them.
I did this while installing things in haste and not thinking it through.
Then imagine my surprise when the diff dropped into the lower case and was sitting too low.
You will need to purchase a shim kit (smaller diameter shims for the diff side and maybe some extras just in case, to be placed between the ball/cage bearing race and the diff, AND various shims for the outside (larger diameter) to spec the case to the outside of the ball/cage race.

The archives have the proper preload/free play specs for each trans type and anticipated useage and power/torque input.

link

The archive was recently updated because so many people are doing their own transmissions and or using shops to perform these swaps and upgrades.

Also, you will need a speedo gear that is pressed onto the diff housing, if this is how you pick up your road speed (to use your cluster as it was intended, versus a different speed sensor pickup device).

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

I had Jacks' Transmissions put a Front LSD in for me when they rebuilt my transmission a 1 1/2 year ago. I haven't really had the chance to play with the car too much since I had it put in.

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

As for the center, I went with another 4-Spider center as I did some research and found that the Quaife DSM Center was not very strong from previous users.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
IF you are looking for all out drag racing style equipment, a center Quaife might not be the best choice.
That is the only DSM/CSM/GVR4 component that they don't put a lifetime warranty on, that applies to our powertrain putting down the twist.
I've never used one but would assume it does quite fine under most other circumstances, and lower torque levels/abuse.

KiNgMaRtY

It appears that they do now offer the lifetime warranty on the center as well

"The Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential for Mitsubishi Eclipse / Talon 4WD, Lancer Evo ,1 2, 3 (centre) is also now subject to a lifetime warranty (subject to terms and conditions)"

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned