The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

loss of power

thecannoliman121

I recently got my gvr4 up and running. I have noticed that I have a big loss in off the line power. I've been logging it and when I jump boost the timing should be around 10 at 8 pounds. But it is way down to about 3. I have set it up to be around 10 at idle because of the parts that I have put into the head(ive read to advance time). I'm not sure if this could be my loss of power but I have a feeling it is the timing. It generally feels like it is of time but I have checked and checked and checked and I know the timing marks are on point and I have the timing right.
Parts list-
272 cams
evo valve springs
16g turbo
ecu link
wb02
walbro 255 pump
2g maf

I need help please. Can't stand watching this car sit there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Check to make sure the gate flapper arm is seated in it's location properly.

If the arm is off center, the flapper does not cover the hole = low boost.

I had problems with a 14b that would do that whenever it felt like it.

Beyond that, it's the first thing I would check, tuning is not my thing regarding link.

Also check operation of the waste gate too.

bradrs

If the timing is that much lower than you'd expect, there are 2 likely causes. Either you have a lot of knock causing it to be retarded 7 degrees. Or you have a boost leak post turbo that is causing your MAF to read a lot more airflow, and putting you into a higher airflow section of your timing table. Look at your logs and see if either of these are the problem.

thecannoliman121

I have looked over the data log and there is no knock. Everything seems to be right except for the af ratio. But one thing I did notice is that when I bumped up the boost it went a little better. idk why I was running it at 8 ponds but now I'm at ten. I plan on bumping it up to at least 14 pounds and bumping my fuel pressure up to 43. The fuel is at 37 as of now. Any thoughts on how this will pan out.
Ps. I will try to check the log about my fuel pressure and if it dropped. That may be why my af is off too. I'm way too lean. at around 9

prove_it

My guess is that you've done zero Link set-up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned