The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

changing tranny and center diff fluids

celm

I want to change the tranny and diff fluids, what brand you guys recommend and what weight?

prove_it

My drivetrain recommendations:

Trans: Redline cocktail, Two bottles of MT-90 One bottle of MTF
Transfer case: Shockproof HD red
Rear diff: Shockproof HD red if driving hard, Blue if cruising more than beating or a stock car.

There are several past threads on this, please learn how to search for this kind of info.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Redline now makes an 75W85 for the trans so you don't need to mix the 90 and MTL anymore. That is exactly what is recommended for the trans by Mitsu.

REDline

GSTwithPSI

Just keep it simple.

Red Line MT-90 in the transmission.
Red Line Heavy ShockProof in the rear diff and transfer case.

^Proven combo that's well documented to work well for our application across the board.

For the transmission: Remove the drain plug, and drain all the old fluid. Reinstall the drain plug. Go up top and remove the single 10mm bolt that holds the speedo gear in the trnas. Pull the speedo gear/cable out of the trans and lay it aside. Get a long transmission funnel and put it into the speedo gear hole. Dump exactly 2 1/2 quarts of MT-90 into the trans. Replace the speedo gear. Done.

For the rear diff and xfer case: IMO, it's easiest to pump the new fluid into the transfer case and rear diff. Just slowly pump in fluid until it starts to trickle out of the fill plug. Make sure the car is level when you do this, or you will potentially overfill or underfill if it's not. The manual says the transfer case holds 1/2 a quart, and the rear diff holds .9 quarts. Good luck trying to measure that last one out.

transparentdsm

also do it on a really hot day and do it in the sun, leave the trans bottle out in the sun for like an hour or two, makes it flow out the bottle real fast and takes half the time.

transparentdsm

i only say it because i had my shockproof blow my pump apart and i wasted like 15$ in fluid i was pissed.

Last edited:

BpuVR4

Was going to search for the cocktail formula the other day...glad I saw this. Also, old timer tip always told to me was to make sure the fill plug opens before undoing the drain plug.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned