The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

UK Galant E3x

AllanL

i'm looking for anything about setting of the fuel idle variable resistor for the non-catalytic models...

this variable resistor is used in place of the o2 sensor.

it's got three wires, one to 5V, one to a pin of the IAT and another to pin 4 [which is also the o2 sensor pin in cat'd engines].

anybody got anything?

thanks in advance...

misterfixit

Hi Allan,

yes it's used in lieu of the oxygen sensor. You use it to set the idle mixture.

You need the engine warm and sniffer to put up the tailpipe. To adjust it you need a little special tool.
Here is the setting for the 4G63SOHC:

Here is the setting for the 4G63DOHC:

Here is the sensor checking procedure. It's just a simple variable resistor, but you need the car aon a sniffer to set it right:

Hope this helps,

Rich

Last edited:

swe_gvr4_1991

Hi Rich!

Great info thanks!
Which manual did you find this info in? I have a few Galant manuals but i cannot find those pages in them.
Care to share that manual?

misterfixit

It's the factory MMC Galant manual. Not the USDM one. It covers all Europe, Australia, Africa, NZ, Singapore, Hong Kong, Gulf countries (Every where except North America and Japan.

It's about 4000 pages in three 3" thick ring binders.

Search my name and you'll find a load of scans from it. In the how to section is an index post I made of the book scans. It's one goal of mine to scan it all, but it is happening very slowly!

Any requests though I'm happy to put them up.

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts