The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tuning without wideband

Any ideas wating on parts but I want power and more boost lol I guess is there any other way to see afr's without a wideband

jnava

Staff member
Do you want to end up without a working galant? I know the old school way of tuning used an EGT. If you have neither, then just wait for it. You don't want to make a costly mistake for just turning up the boost and end up hurting the motor.

Edit:To paraphrase a quote from the famous American soldier Aldo Raines, "When you buy this car, you take on Deb't.

Last edited:

AWDPower

You don't need a wide band for basic tuning. You should have a least an EGT gauge, and preferably a logger. Keep in mind you may not be able to get the most out of your set up, but you can still make quite a bit of power over stock.

EHmotorsports

Since you don't want to ruin anything I would just focus on making sure you have no boost leaks and or Vac leaks. Make sure every sensor and connection is good and clean. New fuel filter, plugs, pcv and make sure you have fresh fluids in your trans, transfer case and rear diff. Any exhaust leaks fix those. Then worry about turning up the boost using a WB and tuner/dataloger.

5OF2k

Plain and simple: DONT

inbefore"I just blew up my GVR4"thread.

-Jake

prove_it

Patience is a virtue. You cannot tune a car without an EGT or wideband. Your asking for trouble. Why blow up a good engine when it could be sold.

thecman02

Don't mean to sound redundant, but don't do it! It isn't worth the little bit of horsepower you might gain. How many miles is on the current engine? Depending on mileage and condition I'd be tempted to sell the spare engine and get a wideband and link assuming you don't have link. With just ecmlink,wideband, walbro190/evo8 fuel pump and good running engine you can get that thing making almost 250whp tuned up.

Your looking at 600 dollars worth of parts and maybe a couple hundred for a professional tune for almost 100hp. Being patient is worth it.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

What are your current mods, and what would you be using to tune with?

LOTS of people successfully tuned with nothing more than a logger and piggybacks for years and didnt burn sh*t up. If you know what you're doing, it's not too bad. The key is to watch for ANY counts of knock. You'll have "trouble areas" at certain points in the RPM range. If you can tune those out without going too retarded with timing, EGTs will be kept in line. You MUST have a good logger, knock sensor and NBo2 though.

prove_it

That is true, but you can buy an LC-1 new for around 200 bucks. I've tuned with an AFC before with a logger. I would rather never do it again.

Why rush something, when you can wait a few weeks and have it done in a more accurate matter.

Well thank you all for the info I will wait lol it rips pretty good now on 10 pounds did some very light tuning with my afc and maf-t runs strong

jnava

Staff member
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Oh....i thought you were trying to play in the mid 20's.

Edit: I thought you were going to boost up. Sorry for the confusion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

EfiniX

Quoting mitsuturbo:

LOTS of people successfully tuned with nothing more than a logger and piggybacks for years and didnt burn sh*t up. If you know what you're doing, it's not too bad. The key is to watch for ANY counts of knock. You'll have "trouble areas" at certain points in the RPM range. If you can tune those out without going too retarded with timing, EGTs will be kept in line. You MUST have a good logger, knock sensor and NBo2 though.

True. English Racing got me tuned using a DSMLink v3 and my detailed mod records. That being said, I've got the boost lower then it could be right now and I'm sitting on a wideband (need some help getting it installed). Once that's in, I'll tune it again and open it up, but I won't touch the trims and timing without it.

transparentdsm

without a wideband or a egt your kinda poking in the dark. there are to many variables to tune without a proper monitoring device.

I have a wally 255 safc2 maf-t 560's huge front mount full 3in I actually got a good tune it rips to redline pretty good on 15 psi runs great

transparentdsm

im not saying you cant get a good tune, but without a wideband gauge to monitor your A/F you could be hurting your motor with to much fuel. i bought a built car from a guy(spent good money and only had 2000 miles on the motor with documentation), he had it tuned after the 1500 mile break-in and prior to me buying it, it had roughly the same set-up you have minus the maf-t, but i thought i had a good tune till i found out i was running to much fuel and it melted a piston from excess fuel in the cylinder. it ran great for like 2 months then started blowing blue smoke real bad one day.

Racah15

Quoting mitsuturbo:

This is true, but based off the question, and sorry if rude, but Impatience... I'm assuming he's not done a whole whole lot of tuning. I don't think this thread would be here if he was a good tuner and knew what he was doing.

So what I'm saying is asking to tune w/o a wideband is like asking to drive a car with no wheels...... Why?! I mean it can be done (Look at Ken Block. One of his subarus has no wheels. Sure it has tracks, but not wheels! Hehe.) but it's not for the newbies and you really really need to know how your engine responds to timing, knock, etc.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts