The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ground Point for AEM Wideband...datalogging issue

JSchleim18

I wired in to the pin 15 slot on the ECU to get a wideband reading through my datalogger (MMcD v1.8g). The reading is about .5 higher from the actual AEM wideband gauge.

Where is the best grounding point in the car to get a more accurate reading out of the datalogger and to avoid any noise interference from the radio? When I turn my radio on I get the ill-fated whine.

Thanks

4thStroke

When you tapped into pin 15, was that pin open on the harness side?

Mine didnt have any contact on the harness side, but it did on the ECU.

JSchleim18

I took the pin out of the ABS wire (blk/white) bc I don't have ABS. I then stuck that pin into pin 15 and clipped the wire. Then I wired in the white wire off the AEM gauge (0-5v) into the pin 15 of the ECU which is now a blk/white wire. The harness side is "hanging loose" aka not wired in to anything.

I have the SAME fricken problem. My wideband will also decide to not work for a couple hours and then work again. Irritating as hell!

1990ggsxnj

Which Wideband are you using Shiskibob? Curious if it's AEM

spooling92vr4

your supposed to ground the wideband to the battery itself according to aem's directions

JSchleim18

I may just do that to get a more accurate reading, but when we tested the connection on the battery, it still whined.

It's the AEM. I called tech about it and they said for $30/hr and shipping charges, they would diagnose the WB unit itself. I hung up.

NateCrisman

There is always talk on the DS-Map board that the AEM wideband 0-5V output is not consistent with the gauge display when using the volt = a/f formula or chart they supply. It may just always be off by a few tenths of a point due to AEM's incorrect data sheet.

JSchleim18

Well at least my radio drowns out the noise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. Looks like I am stuck guessing on the values. I appreciate the help

onesickcrx

My AEM wideband does the same thing. What I ended up doing was figuring out how far off it was. My gauge was saying 11.2 and dsmlink was reading 11.6 . I borrowed a innovative wide band to verify that the AEM gauge display was correct which it was. So now when I log I know 11.6 it is really 11.2 .

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Do you guys use the ecu input buffer from dsmlink? I have it in my car along with the AEM wideband and DSMLink and have no issues.

popup_image.php

Last edited:

JSchleim18

^^^What is it exactly? I am only on a KD chip...no link here

JSchleim18

Hmmm that seems like the possible answer. Anyone else have any insight on this?

And thanks Adrian I hope you liked the car

Last edited:

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I like the car. I don't know how it was when you first got it but I'm sure it came a long way. You were also set back when it was broken into and you did a good job fixing everything.

You also may want to consider using the sensors ground (pin #24) of the ECU as the ground for the wideband, since the ECU references everything to that ground.

JSchleim18

^^^I'll ground it there first and see if the noise goes away or I get a better reading. The "buffer" grounds it to that pin location as well. Thanks Jeff

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned