The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g TEL shifter - Now with shift boot!

steve

before:

after:

Damn thats better. Now I have to get my VR6Eater leather shift boot in there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and put the whole console back together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

:update: Got the VR6eater shift boot in there now. I ordered it for a stock shifter height but had to make it work with the DSM shifter.

Last edited by a moderator:

looking good! i'm sporting the same setup. And don't worry, you'll get good at taking the console apart and putting it back together after you do it 50 more times
tongue.gif

I was going to be tackling this next after the fuel system is done.

I have a 90 and a 91 TEL shifter and boot. Which am I more than likely going to have to use?

Did you modify your's in anyway to shorten the throw?

Did you upgrade the cable heim joints to all steel units or did you just use the nylon ones?

steve

I believe the 90 is different and wont work. Don't quote me on that though.

I didn't modify it to shorten the throw, its just a normal stock DSM shifter.

I didn't have to mess with any "cable heim joints"... at least I don't think I did.
confused.gif

OK so these are the same as the 91's+ then? That's cool, I have both.

The heim joints I refer to are the little rod ends that the cables connect to on the shifter that actaute the linkages on the tranny. They have a nylon bushng in them vs a steel one.

It is an upgrade I saw somewhere but don't remember where. Here is a pic I pulled off the VFAQ to illistrate what I am reffering to.

adjust-01.jpg

They are 6mm Heim joints (or Rod end to some) and can be replaced for about $10.

This pic, while highlighting another part, you can see the nylon in the heim joint on the right. I pulled them off on one of the cars I got the shifters from, so I could have it to find a replacement, and it is VERY sloppy.

adjust-03.jpg

steve

Its just the shifter arm.... one bolt through the center, and a cotter pin holding it on at the bottom. You do have to loosen the whole console in order to be able to slide the arm on/off.

hey sorry to get off the topic but how do u guys get your leather looking so soft and supple? most of your interior pics show nice and soft leather. can u fill me in on it?

marvinmadman

Yeah me too, car was sitting for a year before I bought it.
frown.gif
leather = hard

MMorgan

steve

I'll have to take a look at that, but to answer your question then, I didn't mess with that, all I replaced was the actual shifter. Its much better already.

Can I just swap out the actual shifter arm to a 91 and thats it? or do i have to change the whole assembly?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts