Here's a bunch of pics from the install. Pivvay and myself did the work, he welded the rear mount, made the front brackets, and provided a pair of hands. I have more pics if you want, just let me know.
Subjective rating of the suspension: awesome! The car is night and day different than the stock suspension with 155K on it. It didn't turn the Galant into a Z06, but I still have the 195/60/15 tires and stock swaybars/bushings. The BF Traction TAs have a sidewall made of silly putty and with the EVO suspension installed I have wear marks down over 1/2 the sidewall of the front tires. Turn-in seems quicker, braking seems steadier, and I can now drive the car over 80 mph without feeling like I'm taking my life in my hands. If I add a rear swaybar and decent tires then I'm sure the handling will take another leap upwards.
What I would do differently next time:
1. look into using EVO front mounting bolts, as they are probably longer than the Galant ones, because of the increased space between the strut ears.
2. tack the brake line mounting brackets to the EVO struts instead of using velcro
3. take some before/after pics of the car's leaning behavior in turns.
Below is the finished product, EVO VIII front and rear springs/struts installed:
First up was the rears. I gave Pivvay a set of junk rear 1G struts and he welded the bottom mount to the EVO struts:
We installed the EVO strut as a unit, and didn't use any parts of the original GVR4 strut.
We had to use a pickle fork to release the driver's side strut from the rear mount, but otherwise it was a clean install. In case you receive your EVO rear struts disassembled, here is what the strut goes together like:
I took care of the rear brake line by:
1. wrapping some thin foam with super sticky adhesive on the back of it around the strut, then using an industrial-grade velcro strip to wrap around the strut and hold the brake line mount in place. It hasn't budged in over 100 miles, and looks to be secure. Of all the pics I have, I don't have a pic of this.
Off to the fronts! First, we installed the unmodified front strut and the ride height was over an inch higher than stock, with crazy positive camber:
So to fix that we cut a coil off the fronts:
When the front strut was put together, the cut spring would not sit correctly in the top hat, and it seemed like it was trying to escape out of the hat toward the fenderwell. The outside edge of the spring might have been outside of the diameter of the hat to rub against the inner fenderwell when the strut compressed as well. To fix this, I rotated the spring 45 degrees counterclockwise, so that the top coil was pressing against the center of the top hat and had nowhere to go. This meant that the bottom coil was not sitting in its 'designated' spot, but it hasn't budged an inch since it was installed on the car, and I've hit some pretty serious bumps and had the car raised in the air on jackstands to see if I could move the coil around.
I used the same velcro/foam solution to mount the brake lines on the front struts:
Cutting the front coil removed the positive camber. also, because the bolt holes are bigger on the EVO struts than the GVR4, we were able to pull the bottom bolt hole away from the car, and push the top bolt hole towards the car to generate some neg. camber. I used what I thought were hardened washers, but I could see the washers compress a bit when I tightened everything down so I am going to replace them. Here's the camber, with the cut EVO front strut installed; it's hard to tell in the pic, but the bottom of the square was up against the tire, and there was space between the top of the tire and the square:
Here's the ride heights, after the install. Stock was front: 2 7/8", rear: 2 3/4"