The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Best place to put oil pressure sender?(Installing gauge)

Exactly as the subject says:
I want to have an oil pressure gauge, so I am wondering where you guys out there have your's tied in? I am not entirely sure if there are better, or worse places to hook into. So I wanted to see what you thought? Pretty simple question this time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Brian.

take out the stock one and put it in there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

steve

Quote:
take out the stock one and put it in there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

+1

Just keep in mind, then, that the stock warning light will no longer function, but you'll have the gauge.

kartorium

also keep in mind that the stock threads will be different than the aftermarket sender. I would say get some adapters and a T fitting and some SS hose and run the aftermarket sender isolated a bit. (not much room down there for one)

chucklesas

Quote:
also keep in mind that the stock threads will be different than the aftermarket sender. I would say get some adapters and a T fitting and some SS hose and run the aftermarket sender isolated a bit. (not much room down there for one)

Yeah, people basically make a distribution block out of home depot plumbing parts. This way you keep your stock sender and can have an aftermarket one tied in too.

Thanks for all the replies, I had normally done the home depot setup on my other cars(as in T-fitting the two into the one location). I just was not sure if these blocks had an extra plug maybe somewhere for that sort of thing. I know some cars you can find extra spots on the block that they just plugged up for one option or another. So I wanted to make sure I was just going to do the normal routine rather then having some simple like removing a plug and putting it there.

I just need to take the time and find the stock setup tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks again for the replies...

Last edited by a moderator:

ken inn

if you have vdo, they make a dual sender, you can still use the dash lite. i THINK(cant remember now) the vdo dual sender just threaded into the old port. when i installed the air oil cooler head, i retapped so i can now use a crush washer. also retapped the other port, and my oil pressure sender lives there.

RayH

Here's a pic from RRE of the stock water cooled oil cooler. You should be able to use either the port where they have the extra oil line attached or the bottom plugged port (the bottom one is unfiltered). Not sure though whether they're 1/8" or 3/8". Most aftermarket pressure senders are 1/8 NPST. It seems from other posts that the stock 1/8" ports are BSPT which has 1 thread difference per inch. You can find BSPT to NPST adapters at www.mcmaster.com (it's amazing the things you can find there).

oillinelocation-1g.jpg

on mine, we just used a t fitting a creatively arragned the pointing of the things in that area to allow them all to fit. I'll try tpo post a pic later.

I've also seen some people tap an oil line from the head, the turbo feed line I believe. This has a few advantages. One is that it is the most downstream from the oil pump, which will mean it will read a lower pressure after squirting through all bits of the motor. I've heard of people breaking their 100 psi gauges on a cold start from the gauge pegging, but I don't think this is very common. Another benefit is that the pressure the gauge sees will be after a whole lot of of potential leaks, making them easier to spot on the gauge. It also lets you know what kind of oil pressure your turbo is getting, so as soon as there's an anomaly you can shut down and save that expensive snailshell.

However, I have no actual experience in the matter, as I too am researching the best place to tap in my first oil pressure gauge.

chucklesas

I have been searching and searching for this adapter from BSPT to NPT, or NSPT and I don't see it anywhere on the mcmaster site, any part # by chance? Maybe I am just too dumb to find it... Its a big site though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Does it matter if the pressure sensor is on the filtered or unfiltered side?
Same question, only in regards to a temp gauge?

I have my 1/8"NPT sender tapped right into the 90 Oil filter housing on my Talon, been working for 15k with no problems, it has never come loose.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
It shouldn't matter. The gauge oil is not going anywhere else. Both the sending units for the TEL (gauge and light) are on the unfiltered side. Maybe this is more accurate because it is right after the pump but before any pressure drop through the filter.

do not use an autometer electrical guage. very inaccurate pile o sh*t. if you do, don't use teflon tape, as the sending unit is grounded thru the threads.

I put genuine DEFI white face electrical gauges into my VR4. Boost, oil pressure and oil temperature.

With oil pressure, I just took the standard sensor out and the new sensor went in perfectly with no dramas at all.
With oil temperature, just replaced the sump plug -same thing, perfect bolt up with no problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll get a photo up of the sensors later if anyone is interested?

180998659a8264799125l.jpg

180998659a8264799327l.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings