The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bicycle Racks

Does anyone here have a bike rack on their GVR4? If yes then which one and how do you like it? I am hoping to get back into mountain biking this spring and was wondering if anyone here did so and what they do about transporting their bike in their GVR4.

Last edited by a moderator:

pivvayside2.jpg

Yes I have one. It's a yakima rack and it's NLA. It works great and i even race at the track with it on. Makes great 12 second balast
smile.gif
You can usually find the Thule ones still both used and new. Do a search for the part number of the new Thule one. It' changed but it's in the archives and still available.

04DrBlur

Yeah unfortunately they dont make clips for the Galant anymore for Yakima racks. I have one with all kinds off attachments just collecting dust. Oh well maybe one day I will by a set of clips and put it on the wifes Mustang, might as well use it for something...

The yakima clips should still be available. Mine were new in the package when i got them. You have to know what to ask for and call the main yakima place directly. I'll look up the number and post it when i return on Jan 4.

I had a friend that did that, loaded his sisters's bikes on the roof, ready to drive to the beach. Pulls through the bank drive-thru, to use the ATM, destroys both bikes!
shocked.gif

04DrBlur

Pivvay if you could post the clip numbers that would be great. Last time I tried calling them they told me they didnt make clips for our cars anymore and refused to transfer me to someone so I could find out the clip numbers. I have two sets of clips already but they are for a Prelude and an Eclipse. Neither set hold the rack enough for me to trust them.

I have the factory Thule rack, and I bought 2 Thule bike rack kits. They work great! I've had the car >100 mph with both bikes on top.
grin.gif

a friend of mine just sold her honda and gave me her yakima racks, I just cut the bottome off the clips and welded on new tabs that fit the contour of the galant door jamb, put some paint and thin rubber padding on them and I was good to go.

ford.

i will post the numbers as soon as i'm home but i don't return until the 4th. The clips were still available recently but you have to know the number. They don't think anything exists for this car but they really do if you know what to ask for.

I was on rackattack today, and it seems like i will be buying from them. They have excellent prices. Thanks for the link!

quote:Originally posted by TinyVR4:
I was on rackattack today, and it seems like i will be buying from them. They have excellent prices. Thanks for the link! no problem. that's where I got my rack from and the prices are awesome. Something like 30% less than my local ski/bike place could order the racks for.

~matt

GVR4458

quote:Originally posted by Pivvay:
i will post the numbers as soon as i'm home but i don't return until the 4th. The clips were still available recently but you have to know the number. They don't think anything exists for this car but they really do if you know what to ask for. Sorry,

I think that the Galant uses Y-21 clips. I went through this about 9 months ago. I was able to find 2 clips after calling Yakima and pulling a list of about 15 resellers. One guy found a clip in a junk box and the other had one waiting to be returned to Yakima. Everyone involved was super helpful, but noone had what I needed. I gave up after 4 days of searching. Best of luck.

EH

Yakima Roof rack information:
Y37 clips front and rear for sst towers. 89-93 galants

also used on:
94-96 Integra 3 door
89-93 2000GTX
96-97 Civic 2dr Hatch
92-95 Civic 2dr Hatch
88-91 Civic 2dr Hatch
93-95 Civic Coupe
93-97 626 4dr (front clips only)

04DrBlur

Thanks Pivvay I think my problem is that my Yakima rack was originally bought for an Eclipse so it is a short roof line rack. I dont think I have the SST towers. I am goin to look at the rack in a minute. Thanks for the info.

deez

Yakima no longer makes a fit for the Galants. They discontinued the tower design, and the new doesnt have a fit. Thule makes a fit, but you have to either cut small sections out of the trim piece on the roof or get a roof rail kit from Mitsu (they are actually out, they can refer you to who purchased all of the inventory of these) that allows the roof rack to attach to a body lip. Its a clean install.

Or you could just buy a Saris rack...fits great on my car. I personally wouldn't buy anything else.

I have just contacted Yakima Customer Support and here's their reply:
My question was whether they had a fit for the Q Towers which I currently own including clips for the TEL.

Quote:

Yes, the older SST towers (pre-’97) had a fit for the Galant ‘89-’93. Yes, it was the Y37 Clips as well.

Some of our dealers still have older stock if you’d like this system. Here is some info on dealers who may still have this equipment:

For SST Towers:

Sundance Sports
3201 W. Benjamin Holt Dr. #121
Stockton, CA. 95219
209-477-3754

GENE TAYLOR'S SPORTS
Grand Junction, CO
970-242-8165

CARTWRIGHT AND DANEWELL
Grayling, MI
517-348-7903

For Y37 Clips:

EARTH'S EDGE
Grand Haven, MI
616-844-1724

The Touring Cyclist
11816 St. Charles Rock Rd.
Bridgeton, MO. 63044
314-739-4648

G.S. Outfitters
401 E. Third St.
Dayton, OH. 45402
937-228-2579

Thank you,

Yakima Support***

Looks like I'll be making my own for the Galant. They're not too far off the Talon clips. I'm going to check again - I figure some slight bending and they'll work mint.

Gvr4-330

The Thule foot part number is 4304. Then you need to buy the load bars. This is the rack that attaches to the gutters under the roof strips.

The Thule website has a nice "what fits my car" at http://www.thuleracks.com

Rob

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings