The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wiring - Motec M4 to VR4 stock plug adaptor - Pinout ???????

bazeng

Hey Guys,

Just wondering what some pins on the stock ECU actually do.

103 Battery backup power supply (constant 12V) - Is this just a constant +12v?
108 Ignition switch - ST - ?????
110 Ignition switch - 1G - ????? are these just +12v outputs when the key is in the ign position? What is 1G / ST?
62 Purge control solenoid valve - what is this?
56 MPI Control relay - what function?
66 MPI Control relay - what function?
65 Air conditioner relay - ??
13 Control relay (Fuel pump drive signal) - pull down to gnd?
5 Power steering oil pressure switch - what does this do in the stock car? increase revs once pressure was detected???
7 Air conditioner switch - ??

Just wondered if anybody has more details for these pinouts found in VFAQ before I pull out the multimetre and start testing. It may save me a bit of time instead of testing.

I'll be drawing out a diagram first so I'd like to match up the motec to the stock loom first with some temporary wiring and then make a final loom for the AMG galant.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

I think I can help with a few of these. I wired up a megasquirt to the stock loom after spending many hours with pinouts, wiring diagrams and a multimeter. Hopefully it'll be a but easier for you.

103 is a constant 12V
108 is 12V when the IGN is switched to START
110 I think is switched 12V (12V when the IGN is switched to ON)
62 I'm not sure, I didn't connect it to anything, it may be to do with the evaporative emissions system
56 I'm not sure, I didn't connect it to anything
66 I'm not sure, I didn't connect it to anything
7 and 65 required some fiddling to get the air con to work, I believe it was just a matter of connecting them together, I'll try to find my notes to confirm
13 triggers the fuel pump, I think it needed 12V rather than ground
5 I'm not sure, I didn't connect it to anything

Hope that's some help.

bazeng

Question guys...

The Motec does not have enough outputs to control the stock idle (4 outputs required).

Do you guys know exactly how the stock ecu controls idle?

What is the input - process - output?

I'm wondering if I can retain the stock ECU to maintain idle control while still using the MOTEC to control everything else.

bazeng

Ok,

I think:

7 - Air con switch inside car (on/off)
65 - Air con clutch to air con unit
13 - I will run this to a relay and provide the fuel pump with an independant power supply to the battery.

The rest makes sense.

I'll make the loom and see how I go.

Thanks

kaptainballistik

The Butterfly valves are controlled by the same wire that does the Emissions control on a US car ( The pinouts Ive found are all US....)

And make sure you wire up one of the switchable outputs to the main relay ( That one hanging off the base of the glovebox!)

Idle control is a tough one... I think it may be easier to just add on a different two wire air bypass valve then try to work with the factory system. I took the easy route and control idle with my right foot, once it's warm it's fine, even with A/C on and a full electrical load.

Also as kaptainballistik mentioned you'll want to connect your cyclone valves to one of the outputs if you've got them.

bazeng

I forgot about the cyclones on this thing dammit... (AMG manifold)

I'm running out of outputs with the ECU. I might have to leave them open.

As for idle, I agree. I decided to use a FORD single wire valve. This will be a cruise/luxury car so I need it to start up nicely and sound stock.

IDLE control is a must! With my VR4 on the other hand, I didn't have it and it was good once warm.

You could run a separate RPM switch for the cyclone system if you don't have enough spare outputs. Jaycar sells some cheap kit set ones that look like they should work.

bazeng

Ah good tip.

How are they adjusted? trimpot using the RPM as an input?

I wonder if there is a way to control the fuel pump without using an ECU output also, this would allow me to use it for boost instead...

I don't really want the fuel pump to be on at IGN 100% of the time. Is there an independant fuel pump controller out there?

I might see if MOTEC makes an output expander of some sort... I do know they make an ignition expander.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts