The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Windshield wiper problem – will not turn off!

Leon_R

When I bought my GVR4, PO said that it had ETACS issue, which is why wiper motor was unplugged. When I finally got the car running and re-connected the wiper motor, everything seemed OK, I thought I got lucky with this problem. But about a week or two later, the wipers turned on and will NOT shut off! So, I too, started unplugging wiper motor.

I have tried another ETACS and wiper relay (on the firewall, right next to the wiper motor) without any luck.

Has anyone else experienced this type of wiper failure?

MitchooO

hopefully its not like my intermittant problem, Knock on wood its been good to me. Every once in a great while it would kick the dome light on like the door was open and the windshield wipers would run nonstop, so i pull the fuse to the wipers and shut the dome light to off on the switch. never traced it down but im not sure I want to. I'm guessing if you just have the wiper issue I would start with relays, Possibly one sticks when it feels like it.

SouthCaliVR4

If the park position switch inside the wiper motor is bad they will just keep running as it has no idea where to stop, your wiper motor has power anytime the key is on. try another wiper motor before you get too deep into it.

Leon_R

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
If the park position switch inside the wiper motor is bad they will just keep running as it has no idea where to stop, your wiper motor has power anytime the key is on. try another wiper motor before you get too deep into it.

That seems to make sence, if wasn't for a fact that my motor is unplugged 95% of the time (whenever it isn't raining), but I can hear the relay clicking under the hood, trying to activate the wipers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Unless it keeps doing it, waiting for a feedback from the motor "park" switch?

Leon_R

Certainly seems plausible. Does anyone know which connector it is? I want to try disconnecting it.

jepherz

Staff member
I believe it is the huge white connector with around 26-30 pins under the dash. If you take the column surround off it should be easy to trace the wires.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned