The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What pistons and what rods?

turbophein

Quoting tektic:
Quoting turbophein:
i wanted to build my own bottom over the winter for minimal investment while focusing on the details that really matter.

my goals are to have a strong built bottom end able to handle 500-600hp if i ever get there one day. 400hp reliably for 20k miles would be a dream come true i think.

When I see things like "if i ever get there one day" it makes me think this engine will never see more than a 16g turbo. A reliable 400hp makes me think he shouldn't even bother with a forged piston.

It Sounds to me like he wants an engine that starts in the cold and doesn't make noise, not one that can handle 1000hp.

Biglady; you may have the right answer, just not to this mans question.

i want to build a reliable engine with the correct tolerances needed, thats what i meant about focusing on details. i can afford to build whatever i want, i choose not to, its my nature. but if i can get a good deal on parts and do the build myself which i really enjoy doing, thats what i want. maybe one day i will get a turbo setup capable of 500hp plus.

also my signature is not updated. i just bought back my old car with heaps of problems i am sorting through and it has none of the original parts. i just finished putting in a engine i assembled this week. spare stock 6 bolt bottom end i had and rebuilt 2g head. its raining or i would finish the tranny install and attempt the first start up.

Thanks for all the posts, lots of food for thought.

Last edited:

presterone

So I take it your not gonna sell it? Lol good to see another gvr4 is going to be kicking around new england

mitsuturbo

Mahle 4032 forgings are super low expansion. Cold weather starts aren't really an issue like with 2618 slugs.
Also, eagle does now sell 6 bolt rods that fit a 22mm pin. I just bought a set today along with a set of mahle 4032 2g/evo 9:1 stroker pistons. 2.3L build is coming together.

Last edited:

tektic

Evo head volume - 43cc
2G head volume -- 47cc
1G head volume -- 49cc

So when you say "2g/evo 9:1 stroker pistons" which is it 9:1 on a 2g or 9:1 on an evo.
Just something to think about before you start it up.

mitsuturbo

Mahle seems to think the evo has a 47cc head as well. At least that's what's in the catalog. I'll be close enough to 9:1 for me.

tektic

I agree that the 1g heads were 47cc also.

I ran the numbers with a calculator
Bore: 85.5mm .02" over
Stroke: 88mm
HG Bore: 86.3mm Mitsubishi MLS
HG Thickness: 1.3 Mitsubishi MLS
Piston Dome: -10cc
Head volume: 43cc / 47cc
------------------------------------
Comp Ratio: 8.82:1 / 9.33:1

Obviously if your head and block have been resurfaced it's higher, and also if your more than .02 over or running over sized valves.

I wish someone brought all that to my attention. Assuming a 47cc head my last engine specs out to 9.58:1. However I have 1mm over valves and both the block and head have been cut.

I'm using a 86mm piston with a -9cc dome and 94mm stroke. I should cc my head before I put it back together.

Last edited:

362Ryan

Quoting EMX5636:
Quoting 362Ryan:
I'm with Biglady on this one.

I went with Wiseco HD's, tool steel wrist pins and K1 rods.

The machinist said the rods were some of the toughest he has worked with.

Not trying to divert too much off topic, but everything I've seen about K1 is they are the same as Eagle/Scat.

Where did you get that from? Because if you were to ask Tom Molnar, he would tell you that in his 30 plus years of designing rods for Oliver and K1 he hasn't borrowed an idea from them.
Let alone the fact the K1's are billet which to my knowledge is not available in Eagle or Scat.

89Patches

Manley, Eagle, Scat, K1 all get the rod blank's from the same place in China. Only difference is how each company machines them once in they're possession.

Sounds like your machinist is just telling ya what you wanna hear...

slugsgomoo

Quoting 89Patches:
Manley, Eagle, Scat, K1 all get the rod blank's from the same place in China. Only difference is how each company machines them once in they're possession.

img.php

362Ryan

Quoting 89Patches:

Ahh yes. That must be it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts