The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What battery are you running?

JSchleim18

My setup is:

Battery Negative - 1/0 gauge to chassis
Battery Positive - 1/0 gauge to cut off switch - 150 amp circuit breaker - distribution block. then it splits to feed the subfuse panel (by pass side shock tower) and starter. I used the stock black and red wire (4 gauge IIRC to the starter)

Brunoboy

i saw in another thread that someone used a maxi fuse block for the main fuses that connect to the battery. so If I did a 0-2 gauge negative batt to ground, and a 0-2 gauge positive to a breaker to a block that splits to the main fuse block and the starter, that should be good correct? then reground my alt and all the other engine grounds with 4 gauge should be fine?

JSchleim18

That sounds about right. Most of the aftermarket grounding kits are just 4 AWG wires daisy chained together.

The wires/fuses that go directly into the distribution block are any of the wires that were connected to the main subfusible link (IIRC, power seatbelts, alternator, and 2 ABS fuses). And of course, the starter. These are the wires that were connected to the battery's positive terminal.

Brunoboy

That sounds about right, I will make a new grounding kit as well. Do you think these things are what's causing my battery issues? And how do you rewire the alternator?

Diego

I run a redtop Optima.... the biggest one they had in the store... which is like 1000cca and 850mca...cost me an ARM AND A LEG when I bought it new when they started hitting main stream... I paid 370.xx at O'reilys 5 years ago....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

JSchleim18

Quoting brunoboy:
That sounds about right, I will make a new grounding kit as well. Do you think these things are what's causing my battery issues? And how do you rewire the alternator?

I can't tell you for sure if this the cure all to your issues but if you have an insufficient wire size and bad grounds, this will surely help it.

As far as rewiring the alternator, you simply replace the 2 white wires that are connected onto the same ring terminal with a fresh 4 AWG wire. It's not really a big issue but I'm sure it doesn't hurt and will make it a little cleaner looking. And another reason to use up the excess 4 AWG wire you will be replacing.

Brunoboy

I basically have one ground off the battery terminal and one ground on the tranny to starter bolt.

coolclean577

its like 450 or somthing like that .... but i just run the stock radio in my car... and just 3 gagues and my apexi tt.. i went for the stock look... lol

VR_IV_MR

I haven't put much thought into it yet but I think I might run a small PC680 with the JMF mount in the engine bay relocated to the firewall and a yellow top in the trunk.

SouthCaliVR4

Quoting brunoboy:
I basically have one ground off the battery terminal and one ground on the tranny to starter bolt.

You need to add another ground of good size from the block to the chassis, preferably off the same bolt.

Brunoboy

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
Quoting brunoboy:

You need to add another ground of good size from the block to the chassis, preferably off the same bolt.

ill add a 4 gauge wire to the chassis, which places are good to ground on the chassis in the engine bay? and what parts on the motor should be chained for the grounds?

524of1000

I use an optima red top, but I don't run A/C or alot of extra electronics. If you plan on having a big sound system you'd want a yellow top. I've had the red top sitting in the car for almost 8 months and it still fires right up.

SouthCaliVR4

Quoting brunoboy:
Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
Quoting brunoboy:

ill add a 4 gauge wire to the chassis, which places are good to ground on the chassis in the engine bay? and what parts on the motor should be chained for the grounds?

where you have it on the starter bolt is good, for chassis ground got to the firewall or inner fender. just be sure to get a good clean metal contact. I little sil-glide or even vaseline over the connection to chassis will prevent corrosion. I can think of no reason to ground the sub-frame so don't worry about that.

Also make sure the two manifold to firewall grounds are in place & there should be a grounding strap at the throttle body to intake. the gaskets and such will otherwise isolate the mani & ttl body from ground & the ecu needs a clean signal from the components mounted there.

NickDromez

Quoting brunoboy:
4 gauge

yo man switch to zero gauge. no problems here.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned