The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What 5th gear set will fit in a 91 F5M33?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Jacks site says FWD 92-99 and all AWD as compatible for the taller 5th gear option of the EVO3, so this means FWD 92-99 and all the AWD 5th gear sets should work interchangeably for F5M33 FWD's and AWD transaxles.

So, will this work in a 91 F5M33 ?

I have a chipped tooth, need to know the options as I have many options lined up locally and stateside.

Cheers,

Tim

EMX5636

They all should* physically fit. I say "should" becuase I know they are the same fit to the shafts, but I don't have a FWD to test the case clearance. I'm pretty sure I threw an AWD 5th in the wife's old FWD 1G because it was laying around and didn't grind 5th gear. Some years (I think 89-90) had a smaller diameter hub/sleeve, which will work, but you will need the matching 5/R shift fork.

The AWD 5th is a little taller though IIRC.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Good to know. I will see about sourcing a local AWD 5th gear set. Would be nice to drop some RPM, but putting in a F5M33 will drop my RPM's across the board for every gear versus the KM210. It was meant for the high strung 4g61t setup, and I am now running the 4g63t in my C53a Colt. Well anything to save some fuel when the car starts getting routine fill ups with 94 (and minimum 91).

Thanks for the help, as that clears up the issue I was trying to confirm. Shaft diameter/shifter rail and fitment via the early models 89-90, verus 91+.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned