The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

VGT Discussion on turbos

cheekychimp

Well LOL, the things that are most fun in life are rarely the most effective or efficient.

MuffinMan7580

Quoting cheekychimp:

The beauty of getting this to work is that you can effectively launch on an A/R of a 16G getting perfect traction and nailing a 1.6 sec 60 ft, but then as soon as you are off the line gradually increase it so that you progress through the equivalent of an HX35 in 2nd, an FP 3065 in 3rd and a GT42R in 4th.

If that's what you want, run a 42R with an electronic boost controller with boost per gear, and use NLTS. What makes this mostappealing is the DD side of it. Very little lag for driving around town power, and then HUGE a/r's for doing interstate/track runs, and anything in-between. If you want to regulate power by choking your engine out in lower gears with dinky A/R's, then open it up later, I'd love to see how you'd tune for that, because you're not going to. If you somehow made a different fuel and timing map for every gear, then your engine definitely wouldn't hold together long, then you'd realize that regulating boost is much better than regulating exhaust back pressure for regulating power.

Last edited:

thecman02

I work at a company that does communication bus translators and scan tools/diagnostics. If I get some downtime at work I'll see if I can't make a translator to produce a can output so we can use a dodge control module.

I think VGT would be epic. I could ruin some peoples day in the max effort at shoot out haha.

boostx

One of these VGT mounted will look so intimidating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

boostx

I wonder how much fab work will be needed to mount one of these big over size snail.All i can think of is brace brace and more brace.

Boostx- Here is mine when it was in my eclipse, same configuration as it sits in my galant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

and just for turbo size comparisons....stock vs vgt

boostx

I have one one of those. What was the under hood temp like?

Boostx- All of my temperatures are "normal" except my water temp starts to get high when I am just sitting for more than a minute or two. I assume mainly becaust the exhaust housings is almost touching the stock radiator. My IAT's were generally between 80-120 depending on the temp outside if I recall correctly but id have to go back through my logs to verify.

boostx

Ok,I thought is would run a bit hot because of the exhaust housing,
Another size comparisons....stock, evo9 and soda can vs Godzilla

desant78

Any updates on this project? I got distracted with other projects and have made no progress. How about anyone else?

alansupra94

When I go with that VGT turbo, I plan on getting a turbo blanket and wrapping the entire downpipe to minimize the heat (and maximize the spool). I might even get a vent for the hood since this engine bay is like an oven.

desant78

There have been updates guys

Fleece Stand Alone

This guy seems to run only off of pressure, which is neat but as discussed, not ideal. Now this mad-man on tuners, who I believe curtis offered services too...just go to the link and read the last page to see where he is.

wow.

comments? This is badass, and this guy clearly put a ton of money into it. Kinda discourages anyone from making there own huh?

Last edited:

curtis

Fricking sweet I'm in for one when he's got them built. When you see them ready to buy let me know please let me know.

thecman02

Yeah no kidding. I can get behind the engineering that went into that product.

boostx

Buick may be getting one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned